Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI - took my 8-track out today. I have heard them estimated typically at 25 lbs, but even up to 30 lbs.

BUSTED! Mine weighed in at 12 lbs. Still heavy, but if you're counting pounds, figured it would help.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
With the radio you also get speakers, wiring, and all the ground straps and screws along with the antenna and leads.* It all adds up.* 25 pounds sounds like a lot though.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Or some ELP, lol.

Seriously, yeah, they're heavy. Mine has a hole in the dash right now, unmolested at that. I have one that doesn't work and I plan on gutting it and modifying it to make the knobs and preset buttons control various electrical circuits on the car. ;)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
You guys don't know anything, They were weighed at the factory with an Iron Butterfly tape in them.

·
Banned
3,150 Posts
I heard a meatloaf tape can add 100 lbs to the weight of your car.

If your taking weight out, you can also remove the seats, floor and trunk pans as well as inner fenders, headliner and steering wheel:p

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard a meatloaf tape can add 100 lbs to the weight of your car.

If your taking weight out, you can also remove the seats, floor and trunk pans as well as inner fenders, headliner and steering wheel:p
LOL, I think you have to remove that stuff for Meatloaf...

Sorry, the player isn't available - the 8-track was non-functional, cosmetic only, so I re-installed after gutting the junk inside it. Just kept the faceplate and 8-track holders, but got rid of the flywheel (heaviest part) for the track, a million transformers, capacitors, and the big box they came in. That stuff was toasted inside.

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
I have one that doesn't work and I plan on gutting it and modifying it to make the knobs and preset buttons control various electrical circuits on the car. ;)
Cool idea! First time I've heard about that one but I bet that's an old "street racer's" trick, no?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hell yeah, are they called tapes or reels? And how is it that 8 track jokes never seem to lose their funniness?
How about the precursor to 8 tracks, .... the 4 track cartridge? Contained twice as much tape, with the same amount of music. Still have a suit case full of them, ...doubt that they're still playable. I still might have somewhere, the 4/8 track player, that I "hacked" the dash, in my 56', .... to mount in the radio location. That puppy was heavy, even without an Iron Butterfly or Canned Heat tape.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
i have an 8 track player i took out of a 76 Lincoln that i'm going to find a use for some day.
perhaps if i ever get around to building a street rod or something, and i can find some old Seger or Skynyrd tapes... or maybe some Boston..
of course, i'll also need to find an old Kraco 10 band eq to mount under the dash, as well...

·
Registered
148 Posts
this reminds me of a buddy of mine who somehow found a portable 8 track player with hearing test headphones for high school. this was only 2 years ago, so while everyone had teeny tiny ipods, this doofus carried around a huge briefcase full of 8 tracks and equipment weighing some ungodly amount. that kid cracks me up. he got a $32,000 scholarship at a college due to his freakishly high ACT score, but never went to class and dropped out after a semester

1 - 17 of 17 Posts