Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not factory correct. I built a L79 looking engine for my 66.basically it’s a SB with camelback heads and a winters intake. I would like to use a closed air cleaner setup similar to what is in my 66 SS.

I have a 4160Holley list 3140. I test fitted the Air cleaner base from my 66SS; the throttle rod hits and the vent to the valve cover looks like it won’t work. Not sure of the valve covers; but I think they might be for a 68 camaro.
Any suggestions as what I might use? The cheap edelbrock set up a PO put in can’t be used because the carb stud for the cover will hit the hood.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Throttle rod is the issue. The one in the pic looks almost straight (or perhaps even an upward bend). You need one that goes down as it extends back from the carb, then has a bend in it so that it is about level from the bend back to the arm on the firewall.

Engine looks good. I would pick up a set of repro 65 L79 chrome valve covers. They are the same stamping as a painted 327 valve cover used in 66, so would be a more accurate "clone" of what a 66 Chevelle L79 would have looked like (had they built one). Then get a repro 67 L79 oil filler tube that has the hole on the side of it to accept the PCV valve, and use a repro screw-in 67 L79 PCV valve. Then you can run the PCV hose to that and won't need a hole in the valve cover for the PCV.

Reactions: LeoP

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like those options Jeff. My only concern is that its a 69 SB and I don't know what to do about hooking up the vent tube from the bottom of the air cleaner base. I do like the 65 air cleaner assembly. Would I just remove that tube from the base? What about venting? Otherwise I already have the PCV valve for the oil filler tube. I also don't know if there would be an issue with the aftermarket double roller rockers I have. The valve covers I currently have work and they kind of look like 68 Camaro L79 valve covers; but I think they are aftermarket. I do like the chrome 66 valve covers very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts