Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the cowl
11D 4732
ST 66-13817 KAN 3056 BODY
TR 763-S K-K PAINT
E 2MGR 5Y

trim tag
138176K125616

trying to figure out what motor tranny it had and paint color. im getting the body redone and painted. was going to paint the tail panel black but not sure after reading a couple articles. any info would be great!! Thanks Joe

· Premium Member
5,516 Posts
the cowl
11D 4732
ST 66-13817 KAN 3056 BODY
TR 763-S K-K PAINT
E 2MGR 5Y

trim tag
138176K125616

trying to figure out what motor tranny it had and paint color. im getting the body redone and painted. was going to paint the tail panel black but not sure after reading a couple articles. any info would be great!! Thanks Joe
11 = November D = 4th week ( that would be 1965 of 66 Model Year )
66 = Model Year 13817 = Super Sport Hardtop
KAN = Kansas Assemby Plant

E = Tinted Glass, ALL
2 is OPTION Group # 2 and within that GRP:
M = Powerglide Transmission
G = Console
R = Rear Speaker
5 is OPTION Group # 5 and within that Grp. Y = Deluxe Seatbelts

763 = Black Bucket Interior
KK = Artesian Turquoise Body Paint
The other misc. numbers are internal plant tracking numbers and job numbers and do not tell you anything specific about the car.. ie.. not options.

I would leave the rear panel body color unless you have evidence to suggest that it was factory painted black... unles that is.. you like that LOOK in which case you should do it Black.. it's your car!

Good luck

PS No way of knowing what HP 396 came with the car unless you still have the original engine or some kind of docs. like a protecto plate, Build Sheet, sales invoice or window sticker

Mike Crown

· Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Mike

I am not really doubting the "S" as I have a few examples of Trim Tags that show the same code.. 763 S, just not convinced it is head rest option :confused: so I wanted to see if Joe can lend some additional info. Hopefully Joe is not a fly by night poster ;)

B is not needed with the 763 code as it is a Bucket Seat code in itself.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is a S behind te 763. the seats that are in the car do not have headrest. i am pretty sure they are the originals. i have had this car since i was 11 years old (had the car 22 years now) thanks for all the info. i hope the no headrest helps you with your research. i looked at the other site but was not having any luck figuring it out except the bucket seats part, plant and paint. thanks for all the help guys

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was also wondering about the powerglide tranny? this car had the clutch pedal and four speed tranny tunnel in it. i know the pedals are not hard to install but the tunnel looked factory not added?

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
i was also wondering about the powerglide tranny? this car had the clutch pedal and four speed tranny tunnel in it. i know the pedals are not hard to install but the tunnel looked factory not added?
As Mike noted, the "M" in group 2 indicates a Powerglide transmission from the factory.

· Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Wouldn't the Powerglide dictate it was a 325hp car? Was the PG available with the 360hp engine?
Good question Rich, but No, as was stated.. the Powerglide option ( RPO M-35 ) was available for all 66 and 67 SS Chevelles with 325hp, 350 hp ( 67 ) and 360hp engines. It was available with a floor mounted shift control and console or steering column mounted shifter.

Through process of elimination, we can better tell what the Option code in question might be? Is there anything different about this car?? Interior wise mostly...

This is what I consider an early to Mid model year car.. so have we seen this S code on any 65's? 763 is a Bucket Seat code and generally the letter code after that number is an adjunct to that code.. we do sometimes see redundant codes.. ie., 763 B would be an example of Buckets coded twice. A is a bench seat code... S ?? I will look at my other exmples and see if they are also KAN cars and or prior to calendar year 1966 examples.

Does it have gauge pkg. ? does it have a Factory KK Tach? or Factory Hole in dash were it was at one time?

Have you ever looked for a BUILD SHEET, interior or otherwise?

· Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Mike - There was a marina blue 66 SS (painted orange) on eBay a couple months ago with untouched original white bucket seat headrest interior that had the S code. It didn't have any other interior oddities that might explain the S code as being anything other than the headrests.

I have also seen the S code after 763 on two other 66-67 coupes, one of which had headrests (claimed to be original), and the other of which had later model replacement seats, so no help. I have seen the S code after 763 on one 67 convertible basket case. The seats and almost everything else was long gone, but the bottom line of the cowl tag looked like a novel - had almost every option that could show up on that line. So it would not be at all surprising for that to have been a headrest car too.

I have never seen the S code on a 66-67 car that had its verified original interior that did NOT have headrests. But that doesn't really prove anything, of course. I have never seen the S on a 65.

I don't think the guage package or tach would have anything to do with the S code, as the dash was drilled, painted and installed (with the instrument cluster) on the final assembly plant side, not on the fisher body side where the cowl tag codes mattered. I don't have the lists in front of me right now, but I can't think of any option that was installed on the assembly plant side that ever shows up on the cowl tag (unless that option also required a body alteration, such as a 4-speed, or the M in group 4 on a Z16 which told fisher body to drill the rear trim holes differently).

Jeff

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mike,
i talked to my dad today about this. when i got this car i also got a malibu parts cars. the malibu was the four speed car (sorry my mistake). i kept the SS which we switched to a four speed. the SS car had a floor shifter, steering column with only the blinker lever on it, consol, factory gauges, & did have the knee knocker tack but the guy before me kept it & the SS hood.

the seats have the botton on the side to release them to lean them forward. i dont know if maybe that might be what the S is for?? did all '66 with buckets have this button.

i have never looked for a build sheet nor would i even know where to begin? i have been this long waiting to redo it. it is not going back original but would like to know all the info i can about the car (since i found this site). you guys on here have been a huge help with info and parts that i have needed.

i have been on vacation all week to do what body work i can on it. i am doing the grunt work for my friend/body man (www.bowdencustoms.com) to save me some money (good learning experience so far & being able to say i did some of the work). i got the quarter panels, rocker panels, & outer wheel houses removed this week. i spent all day today fitting the outer wheel houses and quarters on the car. i am going back tommorow to try and get the door skins fitted on. we still have a long way to go but it is coming along.

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
the seats have the botton on the side to release them to lean them forward. i dont know if maybe that might be what the S is for?? did all '66 with buckets have this button.
All seats had the latch on the bottom left (or bottom right if passenger bucket seat) to allow movement of the seat itself fore and aft.

If you're referring to the back of the seat itself folding forward to allow easier entry into the back seat, 66's didn't have a locking seat back - 67's did but the release button was on the top outside of the seat back itself.

See http://www.chevellestuff.com/1967/chevelle/interiors/763.jpg for a 67 bucket seat with seat back release and http://www.chevellestuff.com/1966/chevelle/interiors/750.jpg for a 66 bucket seat without the seat back release. :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
5,516 Posts
mine have the button up on the side like the first picture
Then you have the incorrect seats and therefore we can't rule out the S as maybe being a headrest option code.. hard to say.. you have 67 Seats though, somebody switched em at some point!

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
The seats are from a 67 then if they have the seat back release to fold forward. The material design is different between the two although I believe either year's kit will fit either year. The 67 has the stitching running horizontal where the 66 is vertical.

If the 66 bucket seats have been swapped for 67 bucket seats, then the -S after the trim code is a moot point now - nothing of the original seat is left. :(

Edit: Quite the contrary, any additional examples of the -S is welcomed. The tag shows another KC example and adds to the hunt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.