Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw a 69 chevelle for sale on Facebook. They guy wanted 8k so I messaged him that I’m interested. He said he has a lot of people coming and that I’m the 3rd person in line and I said alright well I’ll buy the car right now and he said no that some guys are coming Saturday and I said man I’ll pay you right now the full 8. And he said sorry the 2nd guy is next and it has to be Saturday. And I said I’ll give you 8500 right now and forget about the guy. He said sorry no thanks... Is it just me that I’m mind blown how stupid people really are???

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I would not call him stupid, but sounds like the type of honest guy I would buy from. He gave someone his word he would let him see it Saturday and since he was first in line he gets first dibs. Put yourself in the "first in line" guys boots. If he would have sold it out from under you how would you feel about that. Those type of honest sellers are getting few and far between.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I've had more chevelles than I can count but I want to tell a little story on my '69 L78 purchase.

This was maybe 6 years back....someone on this forum posted an ad and the discussion grew quickly as it had no signs of the L78 and wasn't claimed to be one. It was advertised as an SS post sedan. From the few pics he posted I saw some things that intrigued me. I made the call, and he send me some more pics, that was enough for me to make a move. I offered money for a security down payment since I'd be travelling over 1800 miles each way. Seller wouldn't except money down, said we had a gentleman's agreement and needed nothing more. Okay, within an hour I had packed my crap and headed out. Drove 1000 miles, then slept for 3 hours, only to wake and drive the last 800. During the trip I secured a u-haul 1 way trailer for the return. I also called the seller to touch base a few times, and then within 30 miles of his house I called him. Since it was 9pm, I asked if I should stop by or wait till the morning. This is where it went bad. He claimed he couldn't find the title and wasn't happy selling a car without one. Well, being a pretty good judge of character, I sensed a little shakiness and uncertainty in his attitude and I was thinking he was just having second thoughts on selling. He offered to pay for my gas after I explained to him I had already invested $500 just getting that far. Told him I'd stop by in the morning and wait it out till he found the title, playing my hand. Looked at the car, talked, got to like each other, and we agreed that I'd pay him half, take the car, and when he either found the title or applied for another, I'd pay the second half. That was a huge risk for each of us! Well, after I took off to meet him at the bank, me leaving first, he called me after just 2 minutes and said he found the title!! Well that just got my head shaking, I knew his integrity was challenged by another buyer. Made the deal at the bank and I hauled it home. After talking to him a few more times, he let on that he'd received a few other offers and one in particular had done the same as you....offered him $2k more than his asking price. The buyer had also tried to convince him that I wasn't going to show up....that it doesn't take 2 days to get from Oregon to Iowa.....yeah right! Yeah, I know exactly who that guy is, and he used to be a frequent poster on this forum. He also had an ally that hunted these cars down and made a point of knowing every post sedan that traded hands. Both guys can kiss my ars and they both know it. You may ask how I can be sure who it is....well I wasn't 100% certain, how could I be, so a while later I posted a fake ad selling a fake '69 post Chevelle and guess who called on it...same guy. I entertained him but said a guy from Portland was very interested and offered me full price. Same thing, he offered me, the fake poster, $2k over my asking price.
While all that sounds deceptive and is, I had to know for certain if my suspicions were true as I had plans to deal with these 2 individuals in the future, and I won't deal with people I can't trust.

Most that know this story know who all the players are, others can probably figure it out. This is the first time I've laid this out on this forum. Just seems a good time to wrap this up with a bow, since we just put the hood on the car, being the last task in the restoration.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I've had more chevelles than I can count but I want to tell a little story on my '69 L78 purchase.

This was maybe 6 years back....someone on this forum posted an ad and the discussion grew quickly as it had no signs of the L78 and wasn't claimed to be one. It was advertised as an SS post sedan. From the few pics he posted I saw some things that intrigued me. I made the call, and he send me some more pics, that was enough for me to make a move. I offered money for a security down payment since I'd be travelling over 1800 miles each way. Seller wouldn't except money down, said we had a gentleman's agreement and needed nothing more. Okay, within an hour I had packed my crap and headed out. Drove 1000 miles, then slept for 3 hours, only to wake and drive the last 800. During the trip I secured a u-haul 1 way trailer for the return. I also called the seller to touch base a few times, and then within 30 miles of his house I called him. Since it was 9pm, I asked if I should stop by or wait till the morning. This is where it went bad. He claimed he couldn't find the title and wasn't happy selling a car without one. Well, being a pretty good judge of character, I sensed a little shakiness and uncertainty in his attitude and I was thinking he was just having second thoughts on selling. He offered to pay for my gas after I explained to him I had already invested $500 just getting that far. Told him I'd stop by in the morning and wait it out till he found the title, playing my hand. Looked at the car, talked, got to like each other, and we agreed that I'd pay him half, take the car, and when he either found the title or applied for another, I'd pay the second half. That was a huge risk for each of us! Well, after I took off to meet him at the bank, me leaving first, he called me after just 2 minutes and said he found the title!! Well that just got my head shaking, I knew his integrity was challenged by another buyer. Made the deal at the bank and I hauled it home. After talking to him a few more times, he let on that he'd received a few other offers and one in particular had done the same as you....offered him $2k more than his asking price. The buyer had also tried to convince him that I wasn't going to show up....that it doesn't take 2 days to get from Oregon to Iowa.....yeah right! Yeah, I know exactly who that guy is, and he used to be a frequent poster on this forum. He also had an ally that hunted these cars down and made a point of knowing every post sedan that traded hands. Both guys can kiss my ars and they both know it. You may ask how I can be sure who it is....well I wasn't 100% certain, how could I be, so a while later I posted a fake ad selling a fake '69 post Chevelle and guess who called on it...same guy. I entertained him but said a guy from Portland was very interested and offered me full price. Same thing, he offered me, the fake poster, $2k over my asking price.
While all that sounds deceptive and is, I had to know for certain if my suspicions were true as I had plans to deal with these 2 individuals in the future, and I won't deal with people I can't trust.

Most that know this story know who all the players are, others can probably figure it out. This is the first time I've laid this out on this forum. Just seems a good time to wrap this up with a bow, since we just put the hood on the car, being the last task in the restoration.
Wow! what a great story. Good for you to figure everything out the way you did. As for the seller of the '69 Chevelle in the OP, that is what you call an honest and honorable man. That seller handled it just as I would have, first come, first serve.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I said I’ll give you 8500 right now and you forget about the other guy. He said sorry no thanks... Is it just me that I’m mind blown how stupid people really are???
The seller is not stupid. He is a man of integrity. He said you were the 3rd person in line and he stuck to it.

'Nuff said.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
The seller is not stupid. He is a man of integrity. He said you were the 3rd person in line and he stuck to it.

'Nuff said.
And,

Holding out like a gentleman could have got you the car and SAVED you $500.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I tell people the first one to put the money in my hand owns the car.. Thats being straight up in my book, but if you told them you would hold it then you have to hold it..

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
not a car but back when the big gun panic afterbsandyhook, I posted a glock 17 for sale for $500 with 2 17rd mags and a 33 rd mag. first guy that called lived in phoenix and was willing to make the 2 hour drivento tucson to pick it up. im usually the first guy that has cash gets it, but I told him inwould hold it for 3 hours if he really wanted it. He said he was onbhis way. as soon as I get off the phone, it was a bidding war of higher offers for the pistol. 600, 700, 750. i told each person that the gun was spoken for until a certain time i gave the first caller. He showed up 2 hours later, i sold it for $500 like we agreed. I told him of all the calls I got, he said I could have walked into any pawnshop and they would have paid $500 for it during this panic.
jim

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Idk maybe I’m just used to that happening. I would think Money does the talking.
I will add that you are correct on this in most cases,

however, when it comes to classic cars, many owners are sentimental about their rides, many have remorse about selling,

and want their cars to go to a good home.

The demeanor of a buyer goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Ouch to the OP. This thread is like you trying to base ball bat someones mail box and the bat bounces back and breaks your window!!! >:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a similar story on integrity
I drove up to Indiana to look at a 70 from an old guy who was in poor health
I met with him and we agreed on the price

We shook hands on it

I told him I would take the car,offered a down payment until I could get everything together and I would be back in a week

On the way home from the trip I had a member here contact me with a better deal on a L78 car

I told him I had already committed to the car in Indiana and I kept my word

Even though the deal wasn't as good I sleep fine at night

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
When I'm selling on CL or FB, I usually do the first one with the cash routine. My experience has been they are mostly local calls anyway.
I learned a lesson a long, long time ago while at a Pomona Swap Meet. I had a guy who wanted to buy a car I had for sale, early on Sunday morning. He finally gave me a $200.00 deposit, and talked me in to driving to his bank on Monday morning to get the money. That pulled me out of the selling field for the whole swap meet. I was going to have to rent a car to get home. I had to take a day off work. I had to stay over another night in a motel. I was almost to his bank in orange, CA on Monday morning, in rush hour traffic, when he called and said he couldn't get the money. Lesson learned.
A couple of years ago, I was back there selling another car. I had lots of lookers, and discussed offers with 3 people/couples. First one offered to get 500. from ATM and pay me the next day. No. Second one said bring the car to our house, you keep the title and we'll overnight you the money tomorrow. No. Third one offered a 1000.00 deposit, said drive me to my house and I'll give you the rest of the money. My son-in-law followed us to his house with my trailer, he paid me in cash, and he only lived a mile off our route home. Completed deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not commenting on this conversation- looks like everything's been more than covered!

I did see a 96 SS Chevelle (PROJECT) pop up the other day and thought it needs a rescue!

I saw it on FB Marketplace,
posted it here: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/358-temporary-free-classifieds/1111972-69ss-not-mine-saw-facebook-marketplace-69-ss.html

I don't know the guy but did message him, I believe you could get it at a very reasonable price- but it needs a LOT!

- just trying to save a cool ol' Chevelle!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had a similar experience that everybody's probably had 2 Thanksgivings ago.... Saw a 10,000lb trailer on craigslist TG night at 7pm. Called the guy and told him I'd give him cash and what he was asking for it at 8am the next morning. Gave him my name and number, told him to call me if anything came up like a higher bidder. My son and I took off at 7:30am for a 20min ride and called the guy to let him know we were on our way. He says "Don't bother, sold it 1/2hr ago"....
Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper but what do ya do other than to say a few choice words. :angry:

John

1 - 20 of 29 Posts