Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about six months ago I moved from Southern California to Northern Arizona. Given how relatively quickly all of it had to take place I couldn't bring the Chevelle up with me right away. As of right now it's at a family members house in California. There are still some things I wanted to do with it before driving it the 400 miles to where I live now. Mostly finishing the disc brake conversion that I started buying parts for earlier this year. The drum brakes work ok, but the pedal has been intermittently soft for most of the time I've had the car. I'm sure the car could make the drive, as it was a daily driver for many years before I got my current DD. There is just that little voice that worries about taking it that far out. The route we drive involves a couple hundred miles of open desert with only a few scattered towns.

Have been considering just having the car hauled up there so it would be there, and I wouldn't have to drive 400 miles to work on it, and then have to work out getting someone to ride down with me and drive my daily car back up. Any modestly priced ,reliable, car transports that you guys have used?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Some of my retired friends with race cars will occasionally tow cars to pick up some extra money. If you have friends that race it might be worth spreading the word through them.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
With a name brand transporter, that short haul would be really expensive. There are open transports that haul short like that, typically used car dealer movements on a multi car trailer. Within the last year I got a car from Phoenix to Houston for about $500. I used UShip.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle SS
13,225 Posts
There's a gentlemen on this site, in the Members Classified section that advertises transport. Called Enclosed Muscle Transport...

·
Registered
798 Posts
2x^^^^^

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Hauled 3 back to back

I just did (3) back to back hauls for a noted Moparts restorer who moved from California to Oregon.

His unsolicited review is here:

@ TrulyVintage Customer FeedBack

My transport availability is posted both here on the forum and on my website:

@ Transport Today Available From

Right now I am in Canyonville, OR waiting for I-5 to open southbond which probably won't happen
until January 6th ....

I am headed to Angels Camp, CA to pick up - then to Austin, TX to drop off.

I am taking my time doing this trip ....

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Jim,did you ever run 58 east out of Eugene to 97 South into Ca. back to I-5 at Weed?Much better route in my opinion,same miles.And you miss all that up and down stuff on I-5 in Southern Oregon.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Jim,did you ever run 58 east out of Eugene to 97 South into Ca. back to I-5 at Weed?Much better route in my opinion,same miles.And you miss all that up and down stuff on I-5 in Southern Oregon.
Doug,

I have learned the interstates are the best way to travel in bad winter weather.
That is where the resources are put to keep traffic moving.
The problem with the I-5 thru Southern Oregon & Northern California is when repeated storms hit
with heavy snow - there are lots of accidents that close the interstate for extended periods.
I have been waiting since Tuesday afternoon - I can wait a couple more days if needed.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
No problem,try it in the good weather you'll never go that part of I-5 again.They do a pretty good job on 58 97 in the bad weather,less treacherous than the interstate through there too,pretty much all flat.
I drove my own semi around North America hauling specialized for over 42 years,just sharing a shortcut.Good luck with the snow,be careful.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Hi Doug,

Just to update ....

I left the Seattle area on December 31st right before the deep freeze & the west coast
weather nightmare .... ;)

I slowly made my way east across I-10 to Texas - then Florida where I spent (3) weeks
in sunshine and warm weather.

This is the first year I have held off driving in ****ty winter weather .... :thumbsup:

This morning I am headed out from Meridian, Mississippi to pick up in Slidell, Louisiana.
Then to Conroe, Texas to drop off.

Then I will be hanging around the Houston area a few days to see if I can get a second vehicle
to haul to Indiana - Midwest - East - Northeast .... :waving:

On my trailer now is a documented one family owned survivor of another era ....

A 1925 Ford Model T bought new - driven until 1946 - then put away in a shed for 70 years.

t was brought back to life & is running again after all those years .... ;)

You can see a couple videos I took of it on:

Instagram https://www.instagram.com/directenclosedautohauler/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005456325407

Jim

·
Registered
160 Posts
FYI I've used Truly Vintage in the past and Jim is excellent. One car at a time and room for parts!!

Stay AWAY from this guy out of Cali. EXCLUSIVE AUTO MOVERS owner/driver
GREGORY HAWKINSON he damaged my car in three places came days late. then had equipment failure and held the car overnight until his electrical could be fixed and then finally delivered the next day and wanted my help to back it out! He already damaged the car 3 x's and now wants help. He told me his life problems and even admitted he was going to have my car fixed before drop off for $700 in Penn. meanwhile Hagerty wrote me a check for over $5K to fix all he ruined.

Oh this was on a car that just got it's first paint job in 40 plus years!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
FYI I've used Truly Vintage in the past and Jim is excellent. One car at a time and room for parts!!

Stay AWAY from this guy out of Cali .EXCLUSIVE AUTO MOVERS owner
GREGORY HAWKINSON he damaged my car in three places came days late. then had equipment failure and held the car overnight until his electrical could be fixed and then finally delivered the next day and wanted my help to back it out! He already damaged the car 3 x's and now wants help. He told me his life problems and even admitted he was going to have my car fixed before drop off for $700 in Penn. meanwhile Haggerty wrote me a check for over $5K to fix all he ruined.

Oh this was on a car that just got it's first paint job in 40 plus years!!!!
Ron,

Sorry to hear that - really sucks man .... :(

I do haul both cars & parts - sometimes entire projects like this complete
freshly painted Camaro Convertible project from Ohio to Las Vegas, NV ....:thumbsup:

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Uhaul sounds good oneway unltd mi hopefully
I will have to look up the # of the last guy I used.
1 ton dually )nobody wanted to haul it too wide)from Ca to NJ was 600-+ was a little behind due to weather most get that this time of yr
Very professional nice rig truck showed up mint.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
btw looking to get out of here in a few mos how do you like az
what parts to stay away from
Dont want to be in the city maybe 15 min out medical somewhere nearby

Cant afford it here anymore

know its hotter than a donkeys butt in summer (stayed in tuscon for 6 mos in 00) but dont think my injuries play well with snow and real cold weather

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ron,

Sorry to hear that - really sucks man .... :(

I do haul both cars & parts - sometimes entire projects like this complete
freshly painted Camaro Convertible project from Ohio to Las Vegas, NV ....:thumbsup:

Jim
Yep lesson learned the hard way!!! Jim your the same guy that is on Moparts right?? You brought me a Plum Crazy 70 GTX 10 + years ago.
Ron Sannino

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Yep lesson learned the hard way!!! Jim your the same guy that is on Moparts right?? You brought me a Plum Crazy 70 GTX 10 + years ago.
Ron Sannino
Ron,

Yes I am a Moparts Sponsor ....

I have hauled a few Plum Crazy cars over the years .... :thumbsup:

Jim

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm up to my neck in transporting right now.
I have spoken to Jim and he is a super nice guy. Unfortunately, he is one guy and it's a HUGE country.

I am learning a lot though. Jim is darned close to being one of a kind. He's your guy if you can get him.

Most "transporters" are merely brokers.
It's become very apparent to me that 90% of the time it's a roll of the dice. Check the reviews on most of these guys.

Nightmare.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts