Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be welding in a trunk to rear window filler in my 67 here soon and was wondering if anyone had any tips for welding the area on the right and left edges were the quarter panel/sail panel meet the filler. The metal is folded at right angles on both sides so they meet at a lip. this is suppose to be spot welded but alas I don't have a spot welder. I do have a mig and have done alot of plug welding on this car but the position were these welds need to be is impossible to reach either the trunk hinge braces are in the way or the quarter is in the way. I am not willing to cut my quarters to gain access. Oh yeah and I haven't figured out how to mig upside down yet . I could weld them from the top but that is not factory at all. Any help you guys can give me on this would rock. thanks
Nathan

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I just welded mine in last week. I drilled two holes on the tab on both quarters, then once I got the panel in I clamped the tabs together good. I was then able to lay in the trunk and get the mig to the holes I drilled. There is enough room in between the tab and the quarter panel. It's a bit of a blind weld, but you can fill it no problem.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
I just welded mine in last week. I drilled two holes on the tab on both quarters, then once I got the panel in I clamped the tabs together good. I was then able to lay in the trunk and get the mig to the holes I drilled. There is enough room in between the tab and the quarter panel. It's a bit of a blind weld, but you can fill it no problem.
Exactly how I did mine!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome guys thanks fortunatley I now have a trunk floor to lay on. Have a good night.
Nathan

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also just did my 67 , I welded the panel in the same , but used 3m structual adhevise to fill the seam , the 2 part epoxy that is mixed with the wierd caulk gun .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts