Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are 70 remote trunk openers vacuum or electric? Is the switch in the glove box and what years are the same? Any for sale?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
They are electric. At least I'm speaking of my knowledge of the '70-72's. There was a button on the inside of the glove box (the color of the actual button depended on the plant and production, I believe there was two colors, green and yellow).

The solenoid was mounted in the trunk lid by the lock mechanism I believe. I'm not sure if it was just grounded to the trunk lid or it had an actual ground wire that was connected to the car body.

DZAUTO,
you've been a great source for info here a chevelle tech. Here's a question for you.

What is the part # and where should I order from in regards to the latest Pertronix ignition module that sense the high point of the lobe in the original distributor mechnism. How much do they cost? I'd like to add one to get rid of the points in my '70.

Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
DZ,

70 model's did use an electric trunk opener, the solinoid/latch was mounted in the trunk lid, and used the lid for its ground. In 70, and some on 71, I'm not sure how long the same switch was used, mine came from a 71 SS454 Monte, the switch was a little black button mounted inside the glovebox, a hot wire from the fuse block feeds it, then it ran down the passenger side of the car, ( under the carpet ) and entered the trunk behind the rear seat, and was clipped to the hinge. then it ran up through the trunk lid about like the trunk lite does.
The solinoid/latch is the same one that is used in many early GM products from the early 70's, late 60's also. I've found them in Olds and Buicks. If you would like to see the setup, send me an e-mail and I'll take a digital pic of it.
One other thing, the replacement switch that is available from GM, started being used later, it works fine, but it's not the correct one.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
DZ
I know you are not a matching numbers fanatic soo... why not try to adapt the solenoid from a late model vehicle to yours? The wrecking yards are full of them. Repro push buttons are available too. Would be $$ ahead when compared to original parts. And I know, that if nothing else, you are ingenious.
rick

·
Registered
115 Posts
DZ,

I have the power trunk option for my '70. It is electic and I have a green butten mounted in the glove box. The seolenoid is actually part of the lock/latching mechanism and it mounts in the normal location. A 14 guage wire runs from the seolenoid to the button, and then a 14 guage power runs to the fuse box and just ties into the front of the fuse panel into the Accessories terminal (I think, I will have to look.)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
This from the same guy that writes, automatics are for fat men and lazy women, or vice versa?Must be planning on alot of Christmas presents in the future!

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK guys,
One thing you must keep foremost in mind is that this is for the 70 conv, MY Room Mate's car. I finally had to give in after years of pestering to get her a conv. Now to keep her happy with "her" car, that I road test occassionally, I have to add these little extras, such as a trunk light/opener. I advertised in the TC ad section and found a trunk light for $25, so I'm sending a check. Another guy says he has an opener which is vacuum (I ALWAYS THOUGHT THEY WERE ELECTRIC), so I thought I would ask here. If anyone has an opener/button, I'm in the market. While we are at it, I might be interested in a COMPLETE pw system (It's hard to roll up the windows when your're power shifting at 90). Thanks for the info guys, you confirmed my thought about elec opener.
By the way, when I agreed to get the conv, I told the little lady that a 4sp and factory air were mandatory. She said OK (her daily driver is a 5sp Honda Accord). She can almost speed shift with the best of us. Don't test her out on the street, she just might embarrass you. The only reason I can beat her in the 56 Vette is because it is lighter---same engines, SB406.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.