Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I recently installed the battery in the trunk and put a f**d solenoid in the trunk too. Since I did this, the starter cranks real slow (like a low battery) even if I jump start it. I cleaned all the grounds at the frame mounting points. (one at the rear to the battery and one up front from the engine)

Today it would barely crank and now it won't start up. When I checked the connections I found both the hot and ground cables were hot to the touch. I used 4 ga. Should I go to 0 gauge wires? or do I need a bigger battery? The one in it is new and cranked well when the battery was up front, but the fenderwell is falling apart up there.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
heavier cable and make sure the Gnd is real clean and good connection

Dan

------------------
69 Cortez silver SS 427
69 azure turquois Malibu 250
ACES #02351
Team Chevelle Gold #35

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
4 gauge is pretty light. I'd go for 0 gauge. That's what I use and no problems. If you get welding cable it will work much better than automotive cable. It has very fine wires, so it can carry more current, and is very flexable.

Ends are available at the welding supply or a good electronics supply (not Radio Shack, Good Guy's ect.). A heavy truck supply should have them, too.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 08-18-99).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welding Cable.
Harley

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ditto, go with the O gauge or better. One thing I did to solve the ground problem was to run a short (12") cable from the starter bolt to the frame. Cranks like a champ (stock starter, stock solenoid, race car)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I'll go pick up some welding cable today.

·
Registered
648 Posts
what about the ground from the battery? does it go to the frame in the rear of the car, does that set up provide a good body ground? also what about fumes in the trunk, do you need to vent? thanks john

------------------

G

·
If you use welding cable and the grounds and connections are good, then #6 welding lead will do the trick and looks a lot like regular battery cable.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, got the ought (zero) gauge cable in tonight and Wham!
She kicks right over now. Again, thanks everbody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.