Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be re-routing my battery to the trunk this week. I am wondering who has it set up this way and has photos. I have an amp in the trunk right now and it is running a 4guage power cable from there thru the undercarpet to the battery. I was wondering If I could use that cable for the start to the trunk/batt. And then just get a 2 footer or use the old short cable from the starter to batt. for my amp, basically switch the cables and buy a new ground. Also I hear to still run the ground to the engine block somewhere and not the chassis.
Thanks, any input would be great

·
Registered
500 Posts
From what I've read, 2ga is about the minimum size of wire to run a trunk mounted battery. I used Summits battery kit and it comes with 20ft of 2ga power cable, and 3ft of black ground cable. I'm not real impressed with the way their hold-downs work, but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Originally posted by vonswanko:

4 ga might work for the starter if its hi strand, good wire.

Rob
I ran some 4ga Monster Cable wire for my alt to starter feed. Seems to be charging the battery just fine. I read a post on here awhile back that said 6ga was plenty but nobody has it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im begining to get confused with all the options here. I already have alot of 4guage wire and that seems to work well? So run the 4 guage from my starter out to the trunk battery, and run the ground from the engine back to the trunk batt. And that small red wire 10g going from the batt to the fuse box, not sure what that is, IGN I think. Maybe just run that all the way back too? errrrrrrr!

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
So why exactly are you wanting to move the battery to the trunk?

Thomas

·
Registered
500 Posts
No, you run the 4ga wire from the alternator to the starter battery post so your battery will charge. Run 2ga or 0ga from the trunk mounted battery to the starter.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Also remeber if you plan on any racing at a track you need a cutoff switch for the battery if it's in the trunk.

Later
Steve

·
Premium Member
17,418 Posts
Phillip,

Tristan just put the trunk mount battery in his 67 Chevelle (we were looking at it at the Texas BBQ place...). He will know where to get the parts, and what worked, etc...

I would AVOID using the existing wire for two reasons...
1) For that long of a cable, I'd go much bigger, either 1-guage or the 00-guage welding wire...
2) One of my previous Chevelles had a truck mount battery and the cable running inside the car. Eventually, people sitting in the back seat caused the seat frame to pierce the cable... One day the back seat caught fire when starting (this was before I bought the car, and was the explanation for not having a back seat when I was checking it out)...

Anyway, go talk to Tristian...

No, you run the 4ga wire from the alternator to the starter battery post so your battery will charge. Run 2ga or 0ga from the
trunk mounted battery to the starter.
I'd rather have a remote solenoid setup, especially when running a 1,0 or 00 cable from the trunk forward... With a remote solenoid, you'd have to run a separate wire back to charge the battery, and 8-guage might be enough for that...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I guess what would be the easiest way to do this is just replace each cable or wire, 1 at a time, just mount it in the trunk, and start wiring things 1 at a time. a 4G or larger from the starter to the batt, the ground up to the block. And as for the Alternator wiring, im not sure I get that part, it looks like it could all stay the same. There arent any alternator wires going directly into the battery. The only other thing is a 8 or 10G red wire going into the fuse block. I think it's my IGN.

·
Premium Member
17,418 Posts
The only other thing is a 8 or 10G red wire going into the fuse block.
I think it's my IGN.
Your positive battery cable should have two wires. The large one goes tothe starter, and the small one goes to a junction block (usually on the radiator support)... The small one is the one the alternator uses to charge the battery...

As I was saying, Tristian has this setup, and its much easier to "look" at it, then try to describe what needs to be done... Tristian can also tell you where he bought the pieces, etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts