Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy an Optima batt for a trunk mount application. The 70 will have dual windstar electric fans, and a good sound system. The trunk doesn't seem like a good idea with all the amps being drawn here, but we are going for it anyway. I know I will probably need a 1-0 gauge wire and a gel battery. I'm just not sure which battery to get. I've also heard about some kind of fusible link for the batt cable. What is that?

thanks.........bk

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not something I have ever done. Just adding something I have read a few times here. More than 1 person has had problems with the direction the battery gets mounted in. Seems the internal plates get cracked, over time, if you mount it length-wise. So, mount it in the same orientation as it is under the hood.

·
Registered
870 Posts
John, is this a problem with conventional batteries or the Optimas? I thought you could mount the Optimas upside down and backwards and they don't care?

[This message has been edited by 66 283 (edited 01-22-2002).]

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi John, Thanks I read that too, racer1320 saved me from a possible fire and loss of a nice 70 chevelle, thats why I am going to the Optima. Your right 66 283, you can mount them in any position......bk

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
The "Fuseable Link" you mentioned is something you don't want to leave out. Call Mark at M.A.D. at 559-539-7128. He really knows his stuff.

Be sure to tell him Richard White from Las Vegas recommended that you call him.

His systems make it easy and safe to relocate your battery to the trunk.

Team Members,

Richard, Judy, MAXX2

------------------

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John I'm glad you chimed in. If I hadn't already heard about the plate configuration you would have saved me. You're one of the guys that makes this site so great!!Thanks....bk

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Muha:
I guess I learned something. Mentioned I never did it. Just an old "fix-it" guy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have the mad enterprises kit with their box and solenoid, so that the fat red wire is only hot on start - the only always-hot wire is the 2 gauge wire with the fusible link. This is the safest in case of a rollover if anything shorts out!
(IE GAS TANK KABOOM!)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a yellow top from Interstate. They said they bought out Optima?

Thanks for the help.....bk

·
Registered
86 Posts
The optima/spiral cell batteries are just that...spiral cells.Thus,no directional plate orientation problems.

------------------
66malibu(433),69c-10(355,soon a 414),75c-10(358),65chevy-II(327),...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Unless I'm missing something there's nothing wrong with a deep cycle battery. May be better for a car that sits a lot and needs a lot of charging.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not a battery expert but from working on boats years ago I learned that deep cycle batteries are not made to deliver huge amounts of amps at one time like trying to crank an engine over that won't start.They are made to be run down and recharged and run back down and recharged etc,over and over.Regular batteries are made for delivering large amounts of amps at one time but will not live long if discharged and recharged over and over.It has to do with differences of the plates between the two types of batteries. I'd ask someone knowledgeable at the store you bought the battery from and see if you should be using a different one for your car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts