1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best set up for a 65 Chevelle SS?

Which size heavy gauge wire to use?
Best route for the heavy gauge wire?
Do you use a remote solenoid along with a fusible link? Use a F_ R D starter solenoid?
Use a box and route a hose through the trunk of the floor to rid the gas?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't like the F**D solenoid because it makes it easy to steal the car. Open the hood and connect the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver and the car starts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey Jack...

I installed the remote selenoid solution last week as I am heat soaking the starter and got sick of having to hotwire my car. The selenoid lasted 1 week!
I replaced it last night and now I have other electrical problems which I am troubleshooting.
I am not getting any charge to the battery and my electrics are dead.

I am only going to use this solution on the short term because, as you David say's, it is too easy to kick the engine over. I used the solution as stated in Tech Ref #4 and followed the directions exactly. I used a 48" long Battery cable from the selenoid to starter and fit nice & neat.

I pick up my Trans-Dapt heat shield today and will be installing that as well.

Hope it helps.

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350

[This message has been edited by Canuck64ss (edited 07-08-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Yeah but sure is fun to steal your buds 66 Mustang when he leaves it sitting with the windows wide open in the School Parking Lot!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,
Has anyone done this set up? And what size wire did you use? (2 gauge etc..)

Since I will put the battery in the trunk, what size wire is best to use to run to the starter in front?

It seems in order to avoid this constant hot wire running the length of the car, people use the remote solonoid attached close to the battery in the trunk.

With the trunk locked all the time would this still be an easy rip off situation???

Also, do you vent the gas through the floor of the trunk?

Thanks,
Jack

------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
My battery is mounted in the trunk of my '69 Chevelle. I used a standard plastic marine-type box bolted to the floor with large washers to spread the load, 00 welding cable for the battery leads (about 1/2 inch in diameter), and a pair of Moroso bulkhead connectors to go through the floor of the trunk just behind the back seat.

You'll want to seal the box and vent it through the floor to the outside air so the battery gasses don't accumulate in the trunk.

I use a stock starter with a heat shield on my 408 BBC and have never had a problem starting it.

[This message has been edited by rgribi (edited 07-08-99).]

·
Banned
486 Posts
Jack,I used 2 gauge wire for the positive and negative cables. I put the box on the right side and ran the neg. cable threw the floor and bolted it to the frame and the pos. also threw the floor and ran it down the outside of the frame rail to the starter.Yes I use a remote solenoid,dont like the idea of all that wire being hot all the time in case the cable gets cut or rubs threw.I did vent mine to the outside, but I dont think its absolutely necessary. (Maybe some others will help out in this area) as far as getting stolen if some one breaks the trunk open and jumps the solenoid all that will happen is the starter will turn over, It wont fire unless the keys are in the ignition and its in the on position.besides having the solenoid on the starter is easy to engage from under the hood.give me a pocket knife and some wire and 10 seconds(or less) and that starter will be singing

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback guys.

#2 or 00 welding wire, either one will work. Great!
I think I'll buy one of those plastic battery boxes and run the wire along the frame rail to the starer. And use that relay.
Sounds like a nice clean way to go. Now I just have to figure out where/how is the best way to vent that gas. Probally don't want to vent it on top of the exhaust...
Thanks,
Jack

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.