Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new trunk mat to replace my original. The quality of the new one is very nice - very thick vinyl type. However the problem, because it so thick, it doesn't sit correctly in the trunk. The edge that lays on the up side towards the back of the car - where the latch is, seems to curl over a bit.

I have removed it - heated it and put it back, it will stay put for a day or so but eventually curl again.

I would like to find one closer to the original or perhaps an NOS one. Has anyone found a better one or know where I can get an NOS one?

Thks

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
ACES # 3480
http://www.my70ss.com
http://www.chevelles.com/feature/august2001.html]

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mine does the same and I hate to put double sided tape under it, but I may have to. Let me know if you come up with a solution.

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got off the phone with A-1 Auto Restoration parts in Ma. It seems they sell a mat with the foam backing very close to the original - I ordered it to try it out - will let you know if it's closer.

Has anyone else ordered their's from them? They have two types - the stiffer vinyl type and the foam backed one.

Thks

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
ACES # 3480
http://www.my70ss.com
http://www.chevelles.com/feature/august2001.html]

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Rich, Rich...why the hurry....I will send you the name of the place I get some good NOS parts...got my NOS trunk mat there...he might have some for your yr. also....though if you already ordered, may be too late?

Mike
oops sorry, didn't realize you first posted in early Dec. sorry Rich.
------------------
MY 66 SS.COM
ACES # 1493
TEAM # 751
MCC # 501

[This message has been edited by 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by richr:
Just got off the phone with A-1 Auto Restoration parts in Ma. It seems they sell a mat with the foam backing very close to the original - I ordered it to try it out - will let you know if it's closer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm.. Umm..
**Quietly enters the room**
**Rolling eyes**

*cough*
What are you planning on doing with the carpet you have right now???
*cough*

Did anyone hear that?

------------------
Shai

1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
Restoration started: February 10th 2001
TC member #1278

·
Registered
26 Posts
Guys!!!

Please do yourselves a favor and "AVOID THE FOAM BACKED MATS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!" They are a total waste of money.

They cost about the same amount as the heavy vinyl and fall apart in a matter of days, especially if it's hot or you put anything in your trunk for the shortest amount of time.

Went through this this last summer, bummer!

Argus

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Argus:
They cost about the same amount as the heavy vinyl and fall apart in a matter of days, especially if it's hot or you put anything in your trunk for the shortest amount of time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why does this happens?

------------------
Shai

1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
Restoration started: February 10th 2001
TC member #1278

·
Registered
26 Posts
ChaosMalibu:

Because the material that the foam backed mats are made out of is a spun fabric. This stuff snags on anything and pulls away from the mat and then it looks like the trunk is full of long strands of hair.

The foam backing has a tendency to stick to the sheetmetal and when you remove the mat, for any reason, some of the foam pulls loose from the mat and stays stuck to the floor of the trunk.

Does this help explain?

Argus

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
I've got two of the foam backed repro '69 mats. One for normal use, one for show only. They "fuzz up" badly. Look like they need a shave. Even the one that is show only and only gets installed after arriving at shows is starting to fuzz. Probably just from being removed and placed back in the shipping box. But it's the most original looking. If I get another it will be the all vinyl version. The hell with it.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.