Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has come up before, but what is the actual real word cost of these?
Holley Sniper 550-867 - Holley Sniper EFI Quadrajet Self-Tuning Fuel Injection Systems.
Summit list them at just under $1,300.00 but I am sure there will be additional expense.
81 Chevy 350 currently NOT running well on a Q-Jet. Fresh rebuild, Edelbrock Q-Jet intake, stock HEI ignition, headers, manual trans.

First possible issue I see is that I have two fuel tanks. To keep it simple I would like to keep my manual fuel pump as the primary and pull FI pump from a cool-can or similar reservoir. Return line to same?

Not certain if I may keep the original distributor?

Holley probably would have answered these question if this were not a holiday.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,284 Posts
What about trying an adapter and a Holley carb first?, and cheaper

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle SS ZZ 502
23 Posts
I am sure this has come up before, but what is the actual real word cost of these?
Holley Sniper 550-867 - Holley Sniper EFI Quadrajet Self-Tuning Fuel Injection Systems.
Summit list them at just under $1,300.00 but I am sure there will be additional expense.
81 Chevy 350 currently NOT running well on a Q-Jet. Fresh rebuild, Edelbrock Q-Jet intake, stock HEI ignition, headers, manual trans.

First possible issue I see is that I have two fuel tanks. To keep it simple I would like to keep my manual fuel pump as the primary and pull FI pump from a cool-can or similar reservoir. Return line to same?

Not certain if I may keep the original distributor?

Holley probably would have answered these question if this were not a holiday.
Your manual fuel pump won't work on the Sniper you need high pressure fuel pump in or at the tank LOW. You should talk to a Summit tech 1-800230-3030
I'm looking in to the Sniper system I was thinking it would be around 1800. to 2100. hoping prices would go down or big sale . Good Luck

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I saw a set up with an accumulator tank. I'm not sure of the details, but it can be done. I can get the number for the shop where I saw that set up if you want. They might be able to steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
From Australia to the USA.
254 Posts
Get Edelbrock sump that is fed from mech pump.

Reactions: cage2592

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Eddy sump sounded ideal until I looked it up. :eek:
Everything cost more when you are short on time.
I am working on a pretty special off-topic car deal that requires me top keep the truck on the road for immediate use.
Two or more weeks delay to have the Q-J re-rebuilt, but EFI is on the shelf.
The world is changing and I am not liking it.

Looks like I "May" use my current distributor but of course then I do not get computer timing which was a major reason to consider the swap.

Seems the extras bring this idea closer to $2K so at the price and in the interest of my time constraint it looks like I may just order another Q-Jet that has not been "Rebuilt" by the lowest bidder.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,284 Posts
In the late 90's I was having a problem getting an 84 T/A with factory EFI throttle body 4 bbl to pass emission, after enough tries to where the testers all new me by name I ripped the throttle body off (had been rebuilt) comp out from under the dash (stomped it in the carport), and swapped dist. for a used HEI and bought a new EDDY 650 cfm carb, the girl that tested the car afterwards said " Rick what did you do? it's running like new" I told her I just replaced the throttle body, the "check engine" light stayed on but I could live with that, so maybe just buy an Eddy carb ? Lots cheaper and less stuff to have problems with down the road, unless you're really wanting EFI, my wife tells the adult kids "If we ever get an EMP blast we'll still be able to drive the Chevelle or ride 1 of the Harleys" LOL

·
Registered
Ryan
307 Posts
Fitech makes a reservoir that’s designed to let you keep your mechanical fuel pump.

Reactions: VinceS427bb

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You can have your mech pump feed a small reservoir (catch can in your terms) and have the high-pressure Holley pump feed from there. It's called a surge tank or swirl pot. Your mech pump feeds the reservoir, your high pressures pulls fuel from it, feeds the Sniper, the return line from the Sniper would go back to the surge tank, and you'll still need a return line running back to one of your tanks from the surge tank. They work very well.

Yes, you can keep original HEI distributor, but you won't be able to use the timing control on the Sniper.

-Dave

Reactions: cage2592

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Companies also make surge tanks without pumps. These can be used with belt driven mechanical fuel pumps to feed carb or EFI. Not a standard Mechanical pumps though. Not cheap and will take some time to FAB up.

Others have stated your other quicker and easier options.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
Put a intank pump, that your best bet, that said there are several way to setup the fuel system.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to continue researching this as a back-burner project.
$2K is just too much, $1200-1500 is my limit.
$400 for a fuel reservoir is just not sane, it's a very simple device.
I may make one, or it may be easy to modify a $50 steel water overflow.
I recall seeing mention of an inexpensive OEM distributor too.
There is also a Ford OEM external pump that should work fine.
Updates when I get closer to having a complete plan.

·
Registered
Ryan
307 Posts
I didn’t realize that Robb MC made a reservoir too. If I was going to convert to a sniper efi, I would take a hard look at one of these.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Nice tanks. Not a bad price for the workmanship. Will have to keep that one on mind. We just did a belt driven mechanical pump with a Radium surge tank (no elec. pump). Total cost was about $1000 when you figure in all the parts, not including the Holley XFlow. He didn't want an electrical pump.

Back to the OP's original issue, Your already spending money on the FI so might as well do it right and be done. I think your cheapest route would be to get a better running Carb. especially if its not a big performance engine.

Mike

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, unless the seller backs out on me, tomorrow I am getting a complete FiTech system for $650 and the gas used to go get it.
Currently fitted to a 350 in a truck. Seller wants to go back to carb for simplicity and I am not going to argue.
Yes his truck runs fine currently.
I am after the F.I. much more for mileage and auto-adjusting to altitude than anything else.
If I were not running from 4,000' to 8,500', and then down to below sea level so often I would just stick with the new carb. Supposedly with a distributor change I may also have computer controlled ignition.
Would be simpler to buy a newer truck, but I am not impressed with the lack of support for OEM F.I. and have already put a lot of effort into restoring this one.
Just went through Hades with a '91 Buick and it's computer controlled ignition/EFI issues.

Now the question becomes, just how quickly may I realistically expect to get the Fitech installed and running right?
I need to go fetch a couple of cars next week, from the other side of the Sierra's.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Got the FiTech, turns out it includes the ideal pump.
AT "Only" $650 it seems I got a pretty good deal, assuming it works as advertised.
As is required of used parts I need to get a couple of minor items.
Going to mount the accessories before completing the swap.
Pics when I get it done.

Go Street 400 HP

Fuel Commander

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And ad $150 for essential "Extras".
Hope to get it on in the morning.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nearly done.
Down to wiring which would have been a little simpler if the last guy had not cut some of the harness so short.
Hardest/slowest part has been making brackets to mount the Fuel Commander.
What I did is not beautiful but should be very functional.
Pics soon.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fired right up as advertised.
Accelerated and slowed at idle on its own a few times, eventually seemed to be good with no hesitation on acceleration.
Still some stumble at steady RPM, let it run some more, seemed to be very good.
Turned it off to deal with a small fuel seep.
Restarted and it runs but idle is way too low and dies when letting off the gas.
Have not driven it yet as I'm still fighting the fuel leak at the 10 micron filter.
Unable to use my S.E.A. at this time but I'm beginning to suspect some ignition issue.
Stock HEI and nearly everything about it was recently replaced.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This stinks!
Reset the learn mode and had it running well, then it suddenly stopped running and will not restart.
Of course I am without any assistant and cannot get the remote switch hooked to the starter to check spark/timing.
Smells of gas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts