Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought a SS only had a black bezel, I've seen several item on ebay "true SS" with wood grain dashes.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,749 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I believe the woodgrain was optional, and came along with the wood steering wheel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so Steve.

GM calls the dash trim "upper trim" and "lower trim" with the dash strip being the upper and the glove box being the lower.

The wood grain wasn't limited to the SS in 67 anyway. My 67 SS w/o A/C had a wood grain upper and my 67 Elky w/A/C also has a wood grain upper. I've got a picture of a very plain Jane original 67 Malibu w/the wood grain. I have pictures of a 66 convertible with the black plastic strip.

I think the only "replacement" panels available are limited to non A/C and are black painted chromed plastic. Also the 66 upper trim (dash strip), bolts on a little differently from what I've been told. The replacements will fit a 67 w/o modifications, but the attachment points do not match the 66. Can't verify this as I don't have a 66, but I've heard it on this board and the Chevelle List.

Another difference I've found, on my SS, the bezels for the light switch and wiper switch were separate - that is - not molded into the panel. From the looks of the replacement panels available, I think all wood grain panels had separate bezels but I haven't had the Elky apart yet to verify. I know I had to grind these molded in bezels down on one strip I did replace in my 67. I have a GM P&A book and it shows various part numbers for this strip although it doesn't say plastic or wood trim.

Unfortunately, the "SS" mystique has taken over and sellers think the added "SS" is worth big bucks to their parts.

Edit - The 66 and 67 have different part numbers for this upper trim - they are not the exact same strip. Careful which "used" part you buy.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

[This message has been edited by Dale McIntosh (edited 12-16-2001).]

·
Administrator
3,355 Posts
SS dashes should have a crinkled black finish. The optional wood look wheel was another option and was not matched to the dash.
I think some of these got replaced along the way as the black dash strips got exceptionally scarce and commanded a fairly high price. I've never seen a factory SS with woodgrain dash (around this area) although I imagine some exist, esp with the a/c option - although my SS with air does have the black dash. (very nervous when I sent it in for rechroming).
Malibu's got the woodgrain.

As mentioned the 66 and 67 dash pieces are not a bolt in change. The holes are different and bezels are too.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
My long lost 66 SS 396/4 speed...also had the black trim piece.

------------------
Bob West
1972 Malibu 454+.030
350 turbo-3.73's
1.79 60 ft.
12.06 @ 112.89

·
Registered
876 Posts
All super sports got the black 50" dash strip.
I replaced my original wood grain strip with a restored black one as I restored my car based on the SS model.
Malibus got the wood grain 50" dash strip and 300 models got a silver 50" dash strip.

-----------
Brett
'67
SS396
clone

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
My just acquired 67 SS Convertible, which I was told was restored by a fellow who did it with NOS parts has the black strip. I am just learning about 67's so I will post a question about trunk releases.

------------------
1970 SS 454 Hardtop
1967 SS 396 Convertible
1969 Lemans Blue Corvette
1993 SS 454 Red Pickup
67 SS
70SS
69Corvette
TC Gold #155

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I have paid particular attention to the upped trim piece on 66 and 67 Chevelles. This is what I have concluded.

66 300 and El Camino - doesn’t have a strip instead has aluminum trim rings on the headlight switch, wiper switch and lighter the ignition switch has a chrome plated pot metal trim ring (used on all 66 & 67 dashes).
300 Deluxe, Malibu, El Camino Custom and SS - have a plastic strip with black crinkle finish

67 300 – no strip same as 66.
300 Deluxe and El Camino – have a plastic strip with a smooth silver finish.
Malibu, Concourse wagon and El Camino Custom - have the aluminum strip with wood grain finish.
SS – have the plastic strip with black crinkle finish.

In addition the 66 and 67 dashes are not the same. The steering column opening is smaller on 66, larger opening on 67 for the collapsible column and the wiper switch was moved to the right about ½’ on the 67 dash. The latter being the reason the relatively common 66 dash strip can’t be used on 67 SS.

I have been searching for a 67 SS w/A/C. I have purchased three all turned out to be 66. I also have an NOS 67 Deluxe non A/C strip. I may end up cutting the vent hole in a 67 non A/C strip.

Disclaimer: I’m sure there are exceptions. If the correct strip wasn’t available on the assembly line, parts on hand were substituted. Also not sure if base model 67 El Caminos came without a strip or came with the Deluxe strip.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have seen a 67 'malibu' SS 4 speed car with a blinker tach and it had the wood grain trim but after looking at 50+(real) SS396 cars I have never seen anything but the black trim! Did the dash you were looking at have the 66 or 67 supersport logo on the glovebox?(smaller script on 67!)

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't know if mine has been replaced at some point but it's a 67SS air car with the woodgrain strip.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127

·
Premium Member
19,749 Posts
Dunno...when I bought my 67 SS in the fall of 86, it had the wood grain strip. Maybe they ran out of black plastic ones when this one came down the line in Atlanta in June of 67 or maybe it got replaced somewhere along the way - who knows? My parts book shows 3 (actually 6, 3 w/AC and 3 w/o AC) different styles, but no description - SS, Deluxe, and Malibu & Concours. (See here).

67johnny: Interesting that the Super Sport script was smaller on the 67. The replacement trim for both is listed as the same part number; 3897553 for the SS and 3897551 for the Malibu. I guess if anyone ever had to replace the lower trim, they got the same replacement part.

Boy I love this site, so much knowledge!

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67_velle:
I thought a SS only had a black bezel, I've seen several item on ebay "true SS" with wood grain dashes.

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
My 67 SS rolled down the Atlanta assembly line in the 4th week of June sequence # 18242. It got the correct black strip.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
Our '67 Malibu has the wood grained trim strip. Canadian only '66 Malibu SS small block cars may also have been wood grained. All the SS396 cars that I have seen had the black strip.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
67velle,
I have a 67 Malibu and a 67SS396 and the dashes are as follows My Malibu has a woodgrain dash and the SS has a black wrinkle finish. Anyone have a SS restoreration guide?

------------------
Thanks In Advance!
John Corbin Member #313
67' Chevelle Malibu(Someday):D, NOT I will have a funeral for the Mailbu as a organ donor for my new 67SS396!!!!!!
Deltona, Florida
E-mail anytime,If I can help I will do my very best!

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
Elree Colby's answer sound definitive!
Hey 67Johnny, don't be confusing everybody with that Canadian Malibu SS stuff since it will cause the earth to tilt on its axis
(they are confusing enough in their own right)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.