Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. A good friend at work has a documented '64 SS Convertible sitting in his driveway under a cover. The last time I saw the car was a year ago. Right now it won't start due to electrical issues (he says). At that time, this is what I observed:
-The body was decent; an older restoration that looks like it could use a good wax job. A few small chips and one ding from a moron in a parking lot, otherwise a solid body.
-Floors and trunk appeared to be solid as did the frame.
-Underhood is the original 283 which needs to be detailed although it's not a "mess". A weekend's worth of elbow grease and some new bolt-ons would dress it right up.
The interior is a little tired but has no major issues (cracks/tears)
Overall it is a real nice driver that gets looks at cruise nights that we used to hit regularly.
He paid $7500 about 6 years ago and feels that he can easily get double that solely because of what it is, even though it's not running.
He and I don't always see eye-to-eye on values, so I'm interested to know what you guys think.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
unfortunately ........you're right..........but he will get closer to what he thinks due to the kind of people buying these cars.....(lots of money and no knowledge):noway:
the electrical could be simple....and 75-9000 is what it will get. ebay cars that are junk are getting 5,000.

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,152 Posts
Be carefull! 15Gs can get you a lot less of a headache.
Even with docs it is still a 283 car and dont bring much extra value if any in my eyes.
Some of those early cars can have lots of problems that are not easily fixed...tweaked or rusty frames, AND HIDDEN RUST, ill fitting doors and tops to name a few. And sometimes parts are hard to find for the first gen cars.
Is it worth more than he paid for it? Maybe... but not much. JMO

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I had my suspicions, but wanted some other opinions. The owner has complained of the same thing...parts being extremely hard to find, especially for this first year car!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts