Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I have owned a 1968 chevelle ss for two years and recently came across a chevelle "expert" who said he did not believe the ss model came in a column shift form and that all ss models in '68 had a factory tach. Mine of course has a column shift, bench seat and no tach. The vin number is 138378A149068 model 3837 and while the cowl tag is hard to read i believe these to be some of the numbers 68-13837 atl 10619 and a number 765 below. I know that the car has a 396 motor and that 138 is the determining factor to denote real ss. So my question is..is this a real ss...did they come with column shift and tach delete...and could someone have just taken a vin tag and cowl tag from another car and put it on this car to represent an ss to increase the value...thanks villain 22

· Banned
5,681 Posts
Your trim tag proves the case that an SS can be ordered with either buckets or bench seat (765 trim is black bench seat). Only in 64/65 did the SS mean buckets and floor shift on the chevelle. As for the tach, that was an option on a non-ss and actually quite rare to see even on the supersports.

Jerry

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I have owned a 1968 chevelle ss for two years and recently came across a chevelle "expert" who said he did not believe the ss model came in a column shift form and that all ss models in '68 had a factory tach. Mine of course has a column shift, bench seat and no tach. The vin number is 138378A149068 model 3837 and while the cowl tag is hard to read i believe these to be some of the numbers 68-13837 atl 10619 and a number 765 below. I know that the car has a 396 motor and that 138 is the determining factor to denote real ss. So my question is..is this a real ss...did they come with column shift and tach delete...and could someone have just taken a vin tag and cowl tag from another car and put it on this car to represent an ss to increase the value...thanks villain 22
I'll chip in here as well if I may. Your "expert" is not.:noway:

Tachometers were ALWAYS an option, no such thing as a tach delete anymore than there is air conditioning delete. :secret: 1967 was the last year one could order a tachometer as a separate option without the gauges; from 1968 on the tach was no longer available separately and only came with the other instruments under RPO U14.

The only column shift transmission one could get in 1968 with the SS option were the Powerglide & TH400 automatics. Unless one ordered a console (which required bucket seats as well), automatics were column shifted. Manual transmissions (3- and 4-speed) were always floor shifted on SS396 Chevelles whether buckets seats and/or console was ordered or not.

It's entirely possible someone might swap VIN plate and trim tag but there are other places the partial VIN is stamped if you wanted to dig into it; the engine block, the transmission case, behind the heater box on the firewall and atop the frame rail. Taken at face value, the 13837/13867/13880 series/model is an SS396.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your timely replies...I believe the car is a true SS however i was most concerned about the column shift which does seem an odd chioce from the factory considering that a horseshoe shifter with buckets or a 4 speed would be more desirerable...now my question is does the column shifter make this ss car more rare and possibly more collectable....thanks

· Premium Member
970 Posts
I have a column shift, bench seat, 68 true SS 396 car! Do not let the "so-called Experts" tell you anything. Your Vin number is proof enough, just let the no-believers have their day. Just drive and enjoy your car as i enjoy mine.

Willie

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Not all people cared for bucket seats or a 4-sp. Many liked sleepers, cars that looked normal but ran like a raped ape. It was more uncommon to find a car on the lot that woudl have buckets seats,console etc as those items drove up the price.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all you guys for your responses...I have a sleeper for sure and I love the column shift...and the 3/4 cam in this 325 horse raped ape makes it a true underdog....all my concerns have been answered about the column shift....may all chevells smoke all the contenders...cheers villain22

· Premium Member
14,078 Posts
The 64 Chevelle SS could be had with buckets and a three speed on the column, I had one. It was just mainly an appearance package at the beginning.
I have also seen a 65 SS with a column-mounted 3-speed manual...

But the 64/65 SS (and the later Canadian Malibu SS) should not be confused with the US-spec 66-70 SS...

While 64/65 had Buckets/console as a "standard" and generally any engine choice was available... The 66-70 use a bench seat as standard, and could only be had with a Big Block...

Even if you could prove it was "rare", its still not as desirable as buckets/floor shift ( for the general public, there are always some bench-seat lovers)...

· Premium Member
10,849 Posts
A surprising number of the old muscle cars cam bench and column shift
I've seen more Camaros with Front Bench/Column this year than in my lifetime prior!

Your 'expert' needs to pound some sand....refer the jacka$$ to this site.

· Banned
7,878 Posts
I have also seen a 65 SS with a column-mounted 3-speed manual...

But the 64/65 SS (and the later Canadian Malibu SS) should not be confused with the US-spec 66-70 SS...

While 64/65 had Buckets/console as a "standard" and generally any engine choice was available... The 66-70 use a bench seat as standard, and could only be had with a Big Block...

Even if you could prove it was "rare", its still not as desirable as buckets/floor shift ( for the general public, there are always some bench-seat lovers)...
I knew a guy with a 65 SS 6cyl/3spd. It was a trim package in 64-65. All SS cars came with buckets but you could get a column shifter on 3spd models.

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Villian22,
My 68' is a true NOM car,396-325hp,th400 column shift,f-41 suspension,12 bolt rear,tach delete.
the 12 bolt however is a peg leg :sad:.I'll never understand why GM did this.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
I'll never understand why GM did this.
Its not GM, its the customer who ordered the car this way. Chevy built it the way the customer ordered. If they made bucket seats, posi and other options standard, they priced themselves out of the competition with Dudge, Furd, Plymouth etc. I was around back then and had a new 70's SS. You would have been hard pressed to find a SS396 sitting on a dealer lot as stock. If a dealer ordered one, he would order the bare bones car for fear of pricing it out of the reach of the average buyer.

To lots of people all they cared about was it was an SS. They did not care about what size motor it had, weather it had bucket seats or posi, it was just about the looks and how much it cost. A vast majority of SS owners likely never floored the gas and took advantage of the power under the hood, just a car to them.

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
I knew a guy with a 65 SS 6cyl/3spd. It was a trim package in 64-65. All SS cars came with buckets but you could get a column shifter on 3spd models.
There was a different trim level for the 64-65 Malibu SS but it wasn't a trim package as such but a separate series from the Malibu. That's like saying the Malibu was a trim package on a 300 series. ;)

Villian22,
My 68' is a true NOM car,396-325hp,th400 column shift,f-41 suspension,12 bolt rear,tach delete.

http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);
F41 suspension option didn't appear until 1969. No such thing as "tach delete" since the special instrumentation package was optional anyway. That's like saying your car, nice as it is, is a 396/350 or 396/375 delete, or vinyl top delete. Positraction was always an option on anything highter than a 4.10 gear ratio. :thumbsup:

· Banned
7,878 Posts
There was a different trim level for the 64-65 Malibu SS but it wasn't a trim package as such but a separate series from the Malibu. That's like saying the Malibu was a trim package on a 300 series. ;)
Yes I know it was a seperate model but my point was that when you ordered a "SS" in 64 or 65 it wasnt a "performance" option but a "trim" option. In 66 is when it became a performance option with the standard engine a 396bbc.

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Villian22,

It's a "true NOM" NOM="Not original motor":confused:
"Tach delete"-it wasn't deleted, it wasn't ordered.:)
BillL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.