Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in performance but I'm thinkin things have changed a bit here. maybe more appropriet here

I used to be on here all the time until I left home for college and had to sell my chevelle for money. anyway I know this is the best place for tech so I thought you guys could help me out on another engine combo. I have an '83 chevy K10 lwb pickup with a gm goodwrench 350/sm465 transmission. I burned a bunch of valves and piston rings when I was headed down the trails when I lost the plug next to the fuel pump and lost all my oil. I had to drive it for about 7 minutes to get out to a street. the motor got so hot the temperature sending unit melted the signal wire off. currently I have 33" tires and 3.08 gears in the axles with lockers. this summer I'll have either 4.56 or 5.13 gears and 38"+ tires in 1 ton axles. the motor ran before I disassembled it loping and smoking burned a quart of oil in 30 minutes.
I definately like power but I want this motor to run off idle and be very snappy. I like climbing hills, mud, and going in and out of creeks. I have headres, edelbrock intake, either a 650 edel brock or a 625 road demon. I've been told the goodwrench is the same casting used in an L82 corvette (4 bolt mains) I am taking the heads to a machine shop today for bigger 2.02/1.60 valves. the shortblock looks fine no scores, standard bore, it hasn't been it the truck long. I might change the pistons for a little more compression (4 eyebrow, head 76cc chamber

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Young Gun. I would stroke the motor for more cubes. I would run the heads with the smaller valves to keep low rpm torque and run a short duration cam under 220 @ .050 As far as a intake the Edelbrock performer eps would be my choice. Have the block zero decked for increased compression.

Bill

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bill the heads are just getting smoothed out and free of casting flash, just basic. apparently those heads aren't worth a darn for modifying much. they also suggested keeping the stock 1.94/1.50s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts