Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a problem with my ragtop. Keeps blowing fuses for the dash lights. Not immediately, takes a few mintues, and it just barely melts the correct value fuse (can't remember value).
Looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue, guess I'll be pulling the whole dash out to fix this. I'm betting a placed a screw in the wrong place when I added the gague cluster. Any place to source schematics for the ribbon wire overlay that connects the power??

------------------
Sid Coleman, 71 Ragtop
TC (Gold) #174, MCC #347,
Aces #5457, [email protected]

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
It's not a dead short so maybe try this. Pop the dash fuse out and put an ammeter across the fuse clips. Set the dimmer pot all the way up so you know its position. That should get you a reference current reading.
Think I'd first try and pull the dash pad and replace the dash lights with new decent brand ones. See if that changes the reference current reading. I'm assuming you don't have any additional lamps on the circuit like a shifter console.
Also may look at the radio & heater control lamps. The guess is a bad lamp or one of those sockets.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, I'll give that a shot. I'm just hoping that when I installed the flexible ckt board on the back of the gauges, I didn't ground it out somewhere.
Good idea to replace all the lamps anyway.

------------------
Sid Coleman, 71 Ragtop
TC (Gold) #174, MCC #347,
Aces #5457, [email protected]

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The short doesn't appear to be a hard short because you said it takes a few minutes to pop the rated fuse. Hard shorts are easier to chase. Since there are a few possibilities, I suggested taking an initial current reading with the dimmer at a known position. That way you can see if the things like replacing the lamps and/or checking out the sockets affects the current reading.
You also might want to take a current reading after you remove all the bulbs. That might provide some information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.