Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a burnt out wiper motor. I'm replacing it tommorrow. I purchased a rebuild about two years ago and it started acting funny almost immediatly.

I would start the car sometimes and the wipers would come up about three inches and go back a few times and then quit. Sometimes I would turn them on to clean the windshield and they would come up and stop. After playing with the switch, they would come back down.

I had an extra switch, so I took out the old one and put it on a meter. They both made continuity the same way.

After playing with the connections, they would work, but the washer stayed on. Finally they just quit and the motor was smoking.

I'm thinking that the problem was in the motor, but I would like to know how to trouble shoot the wires to know what I should have.

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick. Yes,I have a meter. Thanks for the link.

The 2 wires for the washer has 12v on them. When I push the switch in, it takes power from one of the wires but nothing happens.

Well, I just went outside to check again and nothing is happening. I've got power on the black wires with the yellow stripe.(ground?)

Yesterday, I tried the washer motor by itself by jumping it with the battery.

I could hear a click but it would not turn. That's how I tested the other one when I put it on the car the last time. I think I have a bad one. I have new issues with the wiring now, I suppose.

Looking at the back of the switch.
I've got four contacts. From left to right I have three in a row and the forth("4") one is higher than the other ones.

I get continuity from the forth (higher)prong to first one in the high position. I get continuity from "4" to the second and trird ones in the low position. I get continuity from "4" the third prong when I push the lever in. Is this correct?

Any of ya'll make any sense of this?

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved. It was the motor after all(and some dirty guts in the switch.).

I cleaned the inside of the switch and decided to plug the motor back up. When I plugged it back in I had left the switch in the high position and it worked for a second.

After jiggling the connectors I could get it to work, but not for long. The motor was smoking also.

Thanks Rick for posting the link. It gave me a little understanding of how the thing worked.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts