Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to bash Edelbrock here, but has anyone ever had any trouble returning any of their items? I bought a 600cfm carb from a local parts store installed it on my car and it ran horribly!! After many hours on hold with their tech. line emails back and forth and not being able to troubleshoot the problem, I decided to just return the carb for a refund...NOT! Turns out the parts store needs a Return Guarantee Authorization number (RGA) from Edlebrock before they can except it back. Well...Edelbrock won't give RGA's on parts that have been installed already. So I am supposed to know that the part is bad before I install it on the car?? Looks like I'm stuck with a carb I don't want, and if I want to have it looked at and fixed, I have to pay for it!!!
What kind of company and customer service is this???
I would like to know if anyone has had similar problems and what they did about it. I am at a loss, this has been going on for over a month now.

Thanks.

I Should have just stuck with Holley!

·
Registered
9 Posts
perhaps if you describe your carb problems you could get some answers to help avoid a complete loss. Even Rochester carbs are not rocket science. Chances are the problem is pretty simple to fix.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Bob,
I have a 70 with a 307 originally a 2bbl. Recently changed to a 4bbl with an edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) and added an electric choke. During heavy acceleration and highway speed, the carb performs superbly. During normal acceleration and when cold it runs like c*ap! The local speed shop sold it to me saying that it was the ideal carb for my engine. I have since found out that this is not true. The ideal carb would be either back to the 2bbl or a 500cfm (1404) and add an electric choke. The speed shop is exchanging the carb only because the carb (600) is faulty as well. When I back the idle screw totally out, the engine still runs. If I plug the pcv valve, the engine still runs. Something in the setup is wrong. I think I got lucky with my speed shop as they are going to take the carb back, and for a one time deal going to exchange it for the 500 as well.
One question I have for you is which port did you hook the dist vacuum to? If you ran it to the passenger side, it will run like hell and backfire back thru the carb (mine did anyway). I have the vacuum hooked to the drivers side and it runs as I said above. If I can be of any assistance please feel free to email me.
Fred
Anybody know where I can pick up a set of usable fingers for typing?

[This message has been edited by Riffers70 (edited 04-20-99).]

·
Registered
527 Posts
Which carb did you purchase? Word is there performer series has a line of remanufactured carbs that are priced lower than the "new" performer series. May want to find out if this a remanufactuerd carb, or if this is even true. If remanufactured you may have some means to justify your problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Bob,
Have you asked Edelbrock if they will replace the carb if you send it to them directly ?? I am not going to defend anyones return policies, but the store you purchased the carb from is at the mercy of the distributor that they purchased it from. If they do not have an ok from the distributor, they can not return it. If their distributors policy is to get an rga from Edelbrock, then they are stuck. I would call Edelbrock and see if they will not replace the carb if you send it to them directly. There should have been a warranty tag in the box, call the number on it if there is one. Most of the performance companies want you to be satisfies with thier product and will usually replace it no questions asked.
The warehouse that I deal with is very flexible about returns, I have never had to "eat" one, even when it was an obvious customer screw up. I think I would try the direct to Edelbrock route.
By the way, their carbs are a very tried and true design, and generally are problem free. A bit of info, I have found that most carburetor problems, both new carbs, and ones that we have worked on here, are caused by some type of installation problem. Like BB2B said, maybe if you describe the problem you are having, we can get it straight and not even have to replace the carb.
By the way, I am just curious, which Edelbrock part number did you get ?
Hope this helps.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
119 Posts
Helped my neighbor out last summer. He bought a 750 cfm edelbrock factory reman for his 455 Olds powered boat. Could not get it to run above an idle for anything. Figured the carb had to be good so we changed everything but the carb. Finally took the carb apart and found out that edelbrock had installed 650 cfm jets and rods in the 750 cfm body. Couldn't get the local parts store to help so we had to buy a strip kit to put things right. Solved the problem but what a hassle.

·
Registered
151 Posts
To: Bob 70

Call Smitty Smith at Edelbrock. 1-800-416-8628, Fax 310-320-1187 or,
Jack B. Mayberry, Vice President, Research & Development, or
Curt Hooker.
They bent over backwards to help me with my Edelbrock Q-Jet.

The 800 number works in CA. I hope it works where you are.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem with the carb. (Brand new Performer series #1405 600cfm) has been a way too lean mixture. Like I said, I have going back and forth with the Edelbrock tech. line and we have not been able to solve the problem. The problems are very similar to what Riffers70 were...low speed and cruising, I got back fires and hesitations, higher speeds it ran well. Edelbrock and I thought this was running way to lean even with the screws turned all the way out/in it did the same thing. I've even changed out the metering rods and jets to their suggestions with no change. Everything else is set up right and has been reviewed with Edelbrock. This has all been done over email mind you, because the tech. line number has just been having over 30 min. waiting times.
Edlebrock told me they will not take the carb back or refund my money because it has already been used and cannot issue an RGA number. I just don't understand this policy and it is getting real frustrating!
Patrick, I am going to use the numbers you supplied to me and see if I make any headway, thanks a bunch and I'll reply back to let you know where this ends up.
What a nightmare!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Bob,
I just got done putting the 1404 (500cfm) on my 307, and added an electric choke. Seems to run real well, where the 1405 (600cfm) didn't. There are some knowlegable folks here, so maybe one will pick this up and help you out. If all else fails, even used 4bbl 600's bring a good price.
Fred

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, speaking of Edelbrock problems.....I just bought a Performer RPM intake from them for a 454 I am building. I opened it and starting looking at it when I noticed all of the holes were not in it to bole it on. It was missing a hole on the back on one side that bolts it to the head. Talk about crappy quality control...those intake bolts are overrated anyway....geez. I got it mail order and didn't feel like paying to have it shipped back and a new one shipped to me, so I just let my dad, a machinest drill it. I wonder what they would say if I sent them a bill for it???

whew! I feel a little better now.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'd like to see if any of these auto manufactures could get their ISO9001/9002
certification. If they do have it then your guarantee of an excellent product is very good. I think all companies that make some sort of part should be ISO9001/2 certified.

GM will not deal with any Supplier unless they are ISO Cerified! I don't blame them.

Mark

[This message has been edited by COPO (edited 04-22-99).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.