Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not what you might have had in mind...this one's a 78...but it's super super clean. These cars were THE hot rods in my high school days. Not sure I could grow to love that green interior but boy is this ever clean.

The '78-'81s are still so cheap it doesn't really make sense to start with a project, unless it's something really scarce like a 4-speed car.

I'm guessing this one will sell close to the asking price.

1978 Malibu Landau

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,704 Posts
Id keep the hub caps on wider wheels, 496/5 spd better rear end in it, Grannys Sleeper.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Cool car, I liked the Malibu Classic. Even though it probably only had 145hp, nice smooth torque, cruise, a/c, tach. Basically a motor mount car, remove 305, fill in the blank.
Even looked like it might be an AM/FM 8Track in it.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
It is a clean car. With the California smog laws you hardly ever see this body style. They were used up and junked. I'm not sure how it is in the rest of the country, but I probably see ten 64-72 Chevelle's while driving around for each of these, excluding 77-86 El Camino's which are becoming rare sights.

I think it's overpriced, he's a few years ahead of the market.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
How's that car rust free?

What's on the hood?

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
That's patina on the hood. You want to see rust come to Michigan.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
How's that car rust free?

What's on the hood?
That's surface rust, it now goes by the name, patina.

Over the years me and various friends have cut up and parted out cars that would make most of you guys back east stroke out. In the early to mid-80's if a car had rust around the rear wheel wells it was practically unsellable and deemed a parts car. Me and most of my friends still won't touch a 60's car that needed more than a few small patch panels, that's how rust averse things are out here. None of my friends would think twice about the hood on that car, that looks like the true definition of surface rust.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Not a fan of green 78's or wire wheel hubcaps, but....healthy small-block + 4 speed = FUN.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
408 Posts
in that year car, I've never seen the gauge package outside of it being a factory stick shift car. He may get that price, but it'll take a while.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
That's surface rust, it now goes by the name, patina.

Over the years me and various friends have cut up and parted out cars that would make most of you guys back east stroke out. In the early to mid-80's if a car had rust around the rear wheel wells it was practically unsellable and deemed a parts car. Me and most of my friends still won't touch a 60's car that needed more than a few small patch panels, that's how rust averse things are out here. None of my friends would think twice about the hood on that car, that looks like the true definition of surface rust.

Steve R
We are spoiled here in the southwest. Rust is an issue we don't usually have to mess with. My daughter had two of that era Malibu when she was in high school, I always thought they would catch on as hot rod material. Like my 86 Monte Carlo SS, they aren't worth much if you are trying to sell them, but probably will be someday.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sleeper material

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I was looking at that the other day. Tried to convince the GF it would be a nice summer cruiser for her. She said no way. She is pushing for a 64-66 mustang, I want another A body, though this might be a compromise, got shot down.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
These cars were THE hot rods in my high school days.
I'm guessing your high school days were somewhere around 1988-1994 or so, as these G-bodies were extremely affordable and plentiful back then.

There were a whole lot of Malibus / Monte Carlos / Cutlass / Regals running around with upgraded wheels (aftermarket, or old style rallys), upgraded stereos, dual exhaust, and sometime a 350 ci transplant. Good cheap fun for broke kids.

(I graduated in 1989)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'm guessing your high school days were somewhere around 1988-1994 or so, as these G-bodies were extremely affordable and plentiful back then.

There were a whole lot of Malibus / Monte Carlos / Cutlass / Regals running around with upgraded wheels (aftermarket, or old style rallys), upgraded stereos, dual exhaust, and sometime a 350 ci transplant. Good cheap fun for broke kids.

(I graduated in 1989)
G-bodies were popular in my high school too. Graduated in 96. My buddy had a nice 81 Malibu. Slow as molasses with the stock 267, but it looked cool. At least until it got stolen and trashed. It was replaced with a G-body Cutlass that we did a 350 swap in.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I honestly wouldn't take that car for Free.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts