Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 chevelle that the trim tag is kind of hard to read. The body shop painted over it recently and I don't know if it has been painted over before that or not. Is there a way to clean off the paint without damaging the tag or the numbers? The numbers and letters just don't seem to be stamped very deep. It is a Baltimore tag also. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give that a try. Were some of the tags from different plants stamped shallow? That kind of seems to be the issue also.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried lacquer thinner and it wouldn't touch the paint. It is a single stage urethane i am pretty sure. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I tried lacquer thinner and it wouldn't touch the paint. It is a single stage urethane i am pretty sure. Any other ideas?
You may try StripIt. I used it back in the 80`s to strip the paint on my 73 Riviera and it worked great.It bubbled the paint right off.

Be careful not to get it where you don't want it.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,678 Posts
:cool: Your local Parts City auto parts store should carry "aircraft grade" paint remover in an areosole can. Very effective. Tape off everything you don't want stripped.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there any chance the stripper will eat into the tag? I have used that stuff before and it works well, just didn't want to damage the tag.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Is there any chance the stripper will eat into the tag? I have used that stuff before and it works well, just didn't want to damage the tag.

If the tag is aluminum, be wary of using anything with acids or alkalies.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Got a magnet?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts