Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the most correct reproduction trim rings and lug nuts for a '70 Chevelle SS wheel. I don't think I can afford NOS. I would like to have your opinions on what parts would pass judging.

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
Judging by whom? There are only a handful of real Chevelle guys that know and most others won't know the difference.
The lug nuts are standard with chrome acorn style caps which Ground Up has. Best bet for the trim rings is from Wheel Vintiques, the ones they have have the little step at the outer edge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. This car will be seen and judged by real chevelle people. I want to be as correct as possible. Any more opinions?

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
I bought repro trim rings from Ground-Up recently. I have an original set, that looks like my wife was trying to parallel park the car, every day, for 25 yrs. I put them side by side, and I couldn't see any difference.

Buying lugs is a shot in the dark. There's probably 5 different types, that all look basically the same, except for some subtle differences, like the height of the hex/dome. Like Tom, I got the lugs from GU, and they are as close as you're gonna find too. I believe Mr Lightfoot has some comparison pictures of a few different lugs. Perhaps he will chime in. He knows a lot about nuts.......... I mean lugs:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
I have also heard that the original company that made the trim rings is remaking them. But I agree with Bill most reproduction ones are very close, some have different tabs on the back on how they attach. Thats what I would check before you buy a set also. I always try to use a local vendor so I can look at things before I buy them.

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle SS LS5
543 Posts
Going through this now with lugs.....
Be carefull with the ones from Ground Up as I just received a set last week. The tapered end that goes in the wheel is extremely small. They worked on a couple of my wheels and some lug holes the entire end would go all the way through. Unless you have perfect mint set of wheels where previous owners were using the small lugs I would not get them. I searched all weekend for lugs and Napa has some that look like the orginals but with a larger bite to them.
Problem is, over the last 40 yrs who knows what type of lugs were used on these wheels.
The universal chrome style will eventually enlarge the lug holes in he wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
I bought repro trim rings from Ground-Up recently. I have an original set, that looks like my wife was trying to parallel park the car, every day, for 25 yrs. I put them side by side, and I couldn't see any difference.

Buying lugs is a shot in the dark. There's probably 5 different types, that all look basically the same, except for some subtle differences, like the height of the hex/dome. Like Tom, I got the lugs from GU, and they are as close as you're gonna find too. I believe Mr Lightfoot has some comparison pictures of a few different lugs. Perhaps he will chime in. He knows a lot about nuts.......... I mean lugs:thumbsup:

Bill, where did you get your SS center caps?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
If they are the same trim rings as on my 70 1/2 Z28 they are no longer available as exact replicas. On the 68 there are China produced ones for $125 and USA produced ones for $450 however they both have different clips than the original. I have one original like Bill's that looks like a Bear chewed on it. I actually found an original at a swap meet for $25 but that was pure luck. I did repo my 68 rings because the clips were all rusty on the original. Restoring them is for another day.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Part #12387947
that is the right looking SS lug nut with the larger seat for wheels with over sized lug holes.

and # 9796919 is the correct trim ring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts