Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Restoring 1966 El Camino. The trim code is "762" and the accessory code is "8174" per the Data Plate. How do I find out what these mean?

The car was purchased in Tucson earlier this year. The bench seat is fabric and I suspect used due to the heat of Arizona versus vinyl. Other than that everything else inside looks true (except side panels). I want to restore the interior to the original configuration so am wondering how the car came from the factory.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Just learning in Ohio,
Steve

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
762 is Black interior

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Steve,

The 762 code is a black bucket seat interior. If there is a bench seat in it now, then it is a replacement for the missing bucket seats. If your floor is original and hasn't been modified it should have the bucket seat mounting brackets welded to the floor.

8174 looks like a code substituted in some assembly plants that did not put accessory codes on the trim tags. Your El Camino must be a Fremont built El Camino. That is the only plant of three where ECs were built that didn't use accessory codes. The other two plants that built ECs and did use the codes were Baltimore and Kansas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts