Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the parts house for tie rod ends and sleeves today and they had some off brand "auto drive" or something like that for about 1/3 the price of Moog and half that of TRW.

They're made in USA and have a lifetime replacement warranty, so I said "What the heck. If they last two years I got my money's worth."

They lasted about 5 minutes. I went to bolt one on the car and it didn't even fit. Had to return them and shell out a few extra bucks for the TRW's. I'm glad I did. And I once again reinforced the old lesson about cheapo parts.

------------------
My Elky Page (updated 3-31-01)
"Think for yourself. Don't let popular opinion make your decisions for you."
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
170 Posts
Chad...once I got past age 25 I kinda attributed this lesson to ALL areas of life ! (will be 36 in July). Be Safe-Shawn

------------------

·
Registered
918 Posts
Chad,

I know what you mean. I'm about to do the whole suspension and swap to discs on my '68 too. I just went local to Napa yesterday with a list of everything I need. The cheapo crap was as much as everything would be through G-Up and PST. The good stuff was almost $300 higher for everything.

------------------
David Reinecke - aka - FINE 68
1968 Chevelle 300 Sport Coupe Deluxe
www.geocities.com/jdreinecke

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used to sell the Autodrive line of suspension parts while I worked at Parts America. They were actually made by MOOG(at least 4 years ago), and were good quality parts. I still have their ball jionts in my Chevelle now, ant they were installed 3 years ago. It is possible that they were boxed wrong, I see that alot at work.

·
Registered
982 Posts
They were probably inners instead of outers....reverse thread

·
Premium Member
17,810 Posts
Chad, even at ( ugh) 40 I still eff up,. Bought a cheap "lifetime" guarantee flaring tool off Ebay. Yeah nice cuts 37 degree flares for 45 degree seats.

The older you get, its not really the money....ITS THE 4 HOURS I SPENT RIGGING MY LINES WITH A CRAP TOOL!

We can go earn more money, you cant replace the time.

------------------
Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62/ACES 3112
67 SS 427
"Be big. Be a builder."

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, they weren't threaded wrong. The taper that goes into the steering knuckle had been lathed down too far. I got the parts girl to pull two more boxes of the same p/n and they were identical. About 3/32" too narrow on the OD. That was the outers.

The inners had the alemites facing the center link so that it would be impossible to grease them on the car.

The sleeves were right on the money.

And, Gene, with the price of gas these days it's time and money! Well, I guess I'll just save money on something other than the car.

I know... I'll stop buying gourmet coffee beans at $8 per pound and go back to good ol' Community at $4.

------------------
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
982 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjlandry:
I got the parts girl to pull two more boxes of the same p/n and they were identical.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, CJ, at least I hope that she had to get them all from the lowest shelf
, oh yeah, that is provided that she was also good looking

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's a babe!
And she knows more about parts than most of the guys there! Plus, she gives me the jobber prices on parts.

She even tried to steer me away from the cheap parts the first time. She said, "I can have the Moog parts here in a few hours".

If only we were allowed more than one wife...

------------------
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
982 Posts
In that case I'm moving to LA

I read somewhere that the most beautiful women in the country are in Laffayette LA....you anywhere near there

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, baby, yeah!! I'm less than an hour from Lafayette. They have ULL there (formerly USL).

There's a club in Lafayette called "Back 2 Back". They have two rooms with a live band in each. If you can't get a girl there you need to see about cosmetic surgery.

But we have LSU here in Baton Rouge, and I think our girls are just as nice. There's no reason to leave town unless you're married

------------------
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.