Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys at work had a Holley Street Avenger 570 that he lets me borrow to try in place of the Edelbrock 600 and holy cow what a difference.. My 327 matched with the new 3:73 gears and that Avenger Carb woke the Camaro up! Smoke show in first and a chirp shifting to second :D Exactly what I was looking for!! I was amazed at what a 570 cfm did to my low end power. Now I need to sell the Edelbrock Carb and find a Holley 570 Street avenger before the Rod Run down here in Long Beach. Anyone have one for sale or need a 600 edelbrock??

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Mike,

HOld on there......
A certain SBC Guru from W Oly has not yet given you the class on the Eddy carbs.
He probably has one that would part your hair for you. Talking street carbs here...IF you change carbs and there was a drastic improvement, your previous carb simply was not set-up right....
FWIW, a 570 SA would be about the LAST carb that I would consider...mainly due to the small rating. With your 3.73 gears the 570 carb will limit your top end charge
I'd be looking for something in the 650cfm range...the 570SA more suited to something your granny might have driven with freeway gears.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Just throw the Eddy in the trashcan. :yes:

You do need a 670 SA, though. If you can pull some coin together, just buy a new one. :yes:

Try to not get something that's been "worked" on by "a Pro".:yes:

My 770, made alotta torque on My 468, that's for your brother,:yes: Not as much as the DP, but good street manners.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Also, how can you be so sure it was the carb that has made this difference? Have you had your Eddy on there with the new gears?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, how can you be so sure it was the carb that has made this difference? Have you had your Eddy on there with the new gears?
I did have the Edelbrock on there first but the Holley was noticeably stronger at low torque. Im going to put the edelbrock back on, since the 570 needs to go back to the owner and mess with it a little. I had some questions about my throttle linkage that I played with when I put the Holley on that I am now questioning whether it was adjusted properly on the Eddy in the first place.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I've got a 670 SA that I'll give you a smoking deal on. Just needs gaskets all around and some new shaft bushings :yes: Ran awesome on my 355.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
The BIG check is that you ensure your gas pedal fully opens your carb.
After that timing, then vacuum/idle mix adjusting
then accelerator pump
then enrichment with step-up springs....based on vacuum
then jetting
Get with TOG before you toss the Eddy aside.

I ain't saying nothin here, but someone I know runs pretty darn fast here with a SBC and Eddy carb.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The BIG check is that you ensure your gas pedal fully opens your carb.
After that timing, then vacuum/idle mix adjusting
then accelerator pump
then enrichment with step-up springs....based on vacuum
then jetting
Get with TOG before you toss the Eddy aside.

I ain't saying nothin here, but someone I know runs pretty darn fast here with a SBC and Eddy carb.....
Thanks George I will do just that and let you know what results I get. I think Greg is coming down for the Rod Run next Month so I will see ;) if he would give me a hand tuning it!! Im sure Kevin would help too!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Thanks George I will do just that and let you know what results I get. I think Greg is coming down for the Rod Run next Month so I will see ;) if he would give me a hand tuning it!! Im sure Kevin would help too!
TOG is always at the rod run. I'll be down there saturday and sunday just hanging out. If you've got a good sized converter why not try a double pumper?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Hey Mike I will be down there for the Rod Run :beers:. I will bring my tuning kit and we will see if we cant get that Eddie to run a little better for you :yes:. Eddies are great "STREET" carbs. They can be tuned to run fair at the track. But if you are looking for all out performance a Holley is the way to go.
A 570 is very small for a high winding 327. I think you would really like a 670 street avenger or even a 650 AVS Eddie for your 327 :D.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Mike I will be down there for the Rod Run :beers:. I will bring my tuning kit and we will see if we cant get that Eddie to run a little better for you :yes:. Eddies are great "STREET" carbs. They can be tuned to run fair at the track. But if you are looking for all out performance a Holley is the way to go.
A 570 is very small for a high winding 327. I think you would really like a 670 street avenger or even a 650 AVS Eddie for your 327 :D.
Cool! I appreciate the help with the carb :thumbsup: was curious what the 670 avenger would do compared to the 570. That 570 sure does have great low end power and if I could keep that with a 670 and gain better top end too I would be more pleased!
Hey I think Kevin told me you entered your car in the show and we were all going to park our cars next to each other? We will have some late nights at my house too if anyone wants to stop by. Hopefully the burn ban will be lifted and we can get a fire going in the pit out back and have a few cocktails and talk cars!!

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
I bolted Loader's 670 on my 396 and 439 and it run's great, never even adjusted the idle. Its a great carb IMHO.
I'd run even better with a little plate and solinoids between it and the manifold. :D

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Wow just think if my Bro sprayed his little 327 to go faster than my 427:noway::D

Hey Mike Greg is entered in the show and I will be down either Friday morning or Thrusday night so we can go stake out our spots.

Maybe someone I know will let you borrow his carb to put on your car for a little test. I could bring it down

1 - 17 of 17 Posts