Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to order 5spd for the Chevelle, who do you guys think the best supplier is? My car is a 4spd now,thinking of going w/Keisler.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just bought a Keisler TKO 600 perfect fit from them. Haven't even got it yet. I'm very excited and can't wait to get it. Jeff is a very nice guy to talk too. Hoping for the best. Have a great day. Bill :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I just bought a Keisler TKO 600 perfect fit from them. Haven't even got it yet. I'm very excited and can't wait to get it. Jeff is a very nice guy to talk too. Hoping for the best. Have a great day. Bill :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words! You see guys, bribes do pay off! l:)

What a show! I appreciate you stopping by, sorry I couldn`t hang out longer. You have my contact info if you need anything, talk to you soon! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I dunno about "designed for a truck"...

But I considered doing a Muncie gear swap. Would have been quite a bit cheaper. Would probably have been a lot less work. And would have produced a LOT less smile when driving.

I have a basic 3.31 rear and older Tremec 3550 (same gear ratios as TKO-500) and absolutely love it. The lower first gear is VERY street friendly and cruising down California freeways at 70 MPH while turning about 2000 RPM is absolutely positively FREAKIN priceless! :cool: WAY less engine noise. In fact the main noise at cruise is the air rushing over drip channels and in old rubber seals.

As to vendors... I would not think twice about ClassicChevy5Speed. High quality vendor.

I would also consider Keisler in your shopping. The very interesting thing they have, and nobody else has, is the machined top cover on the Tremec. Now they claim this allows installation with NO tunnel modifications... a claim that has been met with a lot of skepticism. Truth is it probably depends on how low to the frame your body sits and how much your floorpan has sagged over the years. So there are variables, you may still have to carve your transmission tunnel even with the Perfect Fit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input....I am sticking to the Tremec, 2 of my other cars
have Tremec installed now(Fords),for me it is the only way to go. I am planning on putting in my order soon as the motor is going to the dyno within a few weeks.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
The tremec 3550 is a truck trans. You don't think the stock shifter plate being dead in the middle of the trans is coincidence do you.
Sheesh... :(

Whatever. I don't see a point to arguing about it. I do know that it works well for me and meets my expectations and requirements much better than any Muncie or derivative thereof. :beers:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Here is the point, one of these days Tremec is going to stop building that trans and then where will all the dealers be? It will be a business decision, the market for the trans is growing smaller and they will be forced to make the choice.
What do you base this on? Actually they are coming out with new after market products now.

The TKO business is still great. We personally get hundreds of request a week for kits for customers cars.

Tremec is the OE supplier to the big 3 for there trans behind all the V8 cars.

I don't think they are going anywhere.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Here is the point, one of these days Tremec is going to stop building that trans and then where will all the dealers be? It will be a business decision, the market for the trans is growing smaller and they will be forced to make the choice.
The market for an oerdrive manual trans that can hold up to a ton of power is growing smaller? Would not have figured that in a million years.

Considering how easy it is to make big power these days, and gas prices, my thought would be the market for old derelict 4 speed trans would be the one shrinking very quickly. Only so many people out there care about originality, many, many like me care more about making the car function well and drive well, and in my case that means a 5 speed overdrive trans.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
i like temec transmissions.
i am interested to see how ther perfect fit trans fits.
to bad i am wanting to go t56.
i dont care much about origionality, its a base model malibu, that has nothing stock to it left besides some 1971 rust and bondo lol.
i prefer the way an internal rail shifter shifts over the notchy external linkage. but that is just me.

plus i have friends with tremec transmissions (either stock off showroom floow, or aftermarket) that are running deep into the 10's, some pushing mid 9's (atleast by their trap speeds).
aaron

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just bought a TKO600 from Keisler and love it.
I would have stayed with my AG m22 if it had a better first gear option. What I would really like them to do is make a set of straight cut gears like the jerico for the AG m22 that would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
And then there is the ever present shifting thing. I don't want to learn how to shift all over again, spent a life time rowing on a muncie and I'm betting no matter what you do to a Tremec it's not as fast as our good old out dated Muncie:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nothing shifts like a Muncie:beers::beers::beers:[/QUOTE]

So basically your saying your an old dog that can't be taught any new tricks? :D

Seriously I don't want to start a pissing match but either you have absolutely no experience with a TKO or are just sour to new technology.

The TKO shifter is quicker the gears are faster and the shifTing is way smoother. I just replaced a tight great shifting Muncie in a 67 Nova I agree it shifts good but no where near as good as a Perfect fit Keisler prepped TKO.

Our shifters come up in the stock hole and in some cases don't require any mods.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The TKO shifter is quicker the gears are faster and the shifTing is way smoother. I just replaced a tight great shifting Muncie in a 67 Nova I agree it shifts good but no where near as good as a Perfect fit Keisler prepped TKO.

Our shifters come up in the stock hole and in some cases don't require any mods.
I agree with this impression of the TKO. This is exactly what I thought to myself by the time I got the 3rd in 1966 GTO with a 389 and a TKO500...from Keisler no less.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
I guess I will be able to give my impressions of the Tremec soon enough as well, as I placed my order with Gene earlier today for a TKO 600 kit. For 8 years now I have wished my chevelle was a manual, now it will be :hurray:
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I have a TKO 600 in mine from Classic Trans. They rock and were very helpful. Great customer service!:hurray:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quikss,you will love the Tremec,it makes a huge diffrence in how these old cars drive.
Let us know how the install goes.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Quikss,you will love the Tremec,it makes a huge diffrence in how these old cars drive.
Let us know how the install goes.
Oh I am certain of that, I can't think of anything I could do to my car that would make a bigger improvement in the way it drives than putting an overdrive in it. The fuel mileage, temporarily lower prices or not, is a big deal for me. I prefer to drive more than 100 miles down the highway without stopping to fill the car up. Plus the way lower RPM will lead to way lower noise in the car, which will lead to a happier family and that makes a happier me.

I will certainly post about my install. The engine comes out next week to have the heads rebuilt, new deep oil pan, and some basic freshening again. While it is out, I will install the flywheel, preesure plate an dclutch, and scattershield, and make sure my runout and all is perfect. I can also begin installing the linkage while waiting for the kit to show up as I have all these pieces already. Hopefully when the trans shows up towards the end of this month it will be a matter of cutting out the floor, getting the fit right, final connections, get the driveshaft and go.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Getting ready to order 5spd for the Chevelle, who do you guys think the best supplier is? My car is a 4spd now,thinking of going w/Keisler.
Uh..ok, how about those Yankees!

The thread got off track a bit and reads a little weird, here we go!

You can buy a TKO from many suppliers but in some cases you only get a transmission in a box. Consider the big picture, there will also be supporting parts that will be required to complete your installation.

We can supply you an essentials package that includes just the basics. Speedometer cable and gear, slip yoke, pilot bearing, reverse light harness and isolator mount. Or we can set you up with a more complete package with full driveshaft and all parts to convert from auto to manual.

Keisler is a full service facility. We offer:

1. In house design
2. In house engineering
3. In house service and warranty repair employing full time trans techs
4. Located just 20 minutes from Tremecs Knoxville, TN manufacturing and production factory
5. 1 year warranty with a 2 year installation window before warranty activates
6. In house quality control with full function and automated machine leak testing before shipment
7. In house driveshaft manufacturing on professional Hines-Spicer equipment
8. Service after the sale with full time tech support at no charge

Do your homework and feel free to contact us with any questions, we will be happy to help! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts