Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried putting in my tremec tonight......no go. COULD NOT GET THE NOSE INTO THE PILOT BEARING!! Its rough because i am having linkage issues so i can't push the clutch in to slide it in that last inch or so. So it looks like i will be taking it all apart fri to make sure that the clutch is PERFECTLY straight. Also where can i get a brass solid type pilot bearing. I think i may have damaged the roller pilot during the install. Also, when i installed the bearing it seemed sooo tight. Whats the proper procedure for the install? thanks- Eric

· Registered
5,800 Posts
if you didnt use a clutch alighnment tool first, your fighting a rough battle
did you beat the pilot bearing in or press it in-they will bend if beaten in
i usually make up a tool to press the pilot in, seen to much damage with a BFH-if your trial fitting the tremec for now, might be better to rem clutch and fit it up that way-good luck

· Registered
292 Posts
Forcd inc is right if beaten in you can bend but flatten the outer edge of the bearing creating a flat spot that basically acts as a lip and if so the bearing and the shaft have a very close tolerance and its fit tight inside the bearing so thats probaly why you cant get it in. But when you installed the bearing did you use grease to get it in because i say using some general purpose grease will help it go in alot smoother and come out easier too but all i can say is maybe you need to get another bearing and try it.

· Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, the bearing looked pretty messed up after this whole ordeal. Where can i get a solid bronze bearing? Can it be found at a Napa? Roller bearings have moving parts, just feel less moving parts will be simpler and have less chance of failure. Also, How would i make a tool to press the bearing in? Thanks in advance-Eric

· Registered
400 Posts
I think I ended up having to go to a Chevy dealer for an actual bronze pilot. The ones I got at Napa and other parts stores would stick to a magnet - not good!

Ryan

· Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I had to use a longer than stock pilot bearing, because the input shaft of the Tremec was not fully engaging in the bearing. I used a .250" longer than stock bronze bearing (non-roller). Got it from Speedway motors. part number 91025800
www.speedwaymotors.com
The pic on their website shows a roller, but it isn't. call them to be sure though.
I also used Moroso extra long bell housing dowels for the alignment.

· Registered
209 Posts
i used and they recomend the brass bushing.... i just bought mine at O'riley's and i got the heavy duty bushing.. it's deeper i think. I had the same problem getting my tremec in, but i also did when i had the munci.. i ended up doing a "no-no" by using the bolts to help pull it in (lightly) and jiggling it as i did.... it's a no-no but it's worked for me 2x with my munci and now this tremec..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts