Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Tremac TKO 600 kit from Keisler about a year ago. Installation went fine in my 68 Chevelle. Trans has about 3,000 highway miles on it. Trans shifts fine at highway speeds, but under moderate RPM (4,000 and above) and hard acceleration, going into 3rd gear is almost impossible. Keisler said 3rd gear shift is a little tricky and I just have to get use to it. I have tried every shifting technique in the book, but nothing works. The bell housing was indexed and I am using the correct GM fluid. I love the trans on the highway, but when it comes to racing I'll take my old Muncie and Hurst shifter back in a flash. Unfortunately I had to sell it to afford the Tremac

I went to this site before I purchased the kit and saw nothing but rave reviews. Since I have had this problem I went to some other sites (sorry, the Ford guys) and have read about many shifting problems that don't seem to be solvable.

Anybody here have same issues? Solutions?

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Its been talked about many times here....that 2nd to 3rd shift. Evidently, were still trying to shift this trans like a Muncie. It has been suggested that when shifting to 3rd, just push the shifter up, dont try and move it to the right like the Muncie - just straight forward, and it will find 3rd. I've never had an issue getting to 3rd. My probblem was going from 3rd to 4th, and almost smashed by car b/c I went from 3rd to 2nd. I had to make sure I go straight back when shifting and absolutely not lean on that shifter left or right.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Maybe you just need to adjust the clutch a bit.
Guy

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
i have posted several times about the 2-3 shift, tried everything, real happy again with my turbo 400 (except no o/d, 4l80e coming soon)
i talked to the tremec man at super chevy about it, he didnt seem to be aware of anything-seems some are ok, some are not

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Steve,

I had the same problem with my TKO 600 when I first got it. What I found was that you can not shift hard like a Muncie, as metioned earlier by 69CHVL. You can shift fast but need a light touch on the shifter ( no death grip) and it will go into 3rd ok. Just be easy on the shifter. Its a great trans, just need to relearn the the shifting technique.

Steve
Just joined the forum.

·
Registered
251 Posts
make sure you use the syncromesh instead of the cheaper ATF. Mine shifts alright except sometimes when shifting over 4500 I cat a minor crunch from 3rd to 4th.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I just TNT'd with mine last night and out of 12 passes, I missed third 3 times. I shift at or about 6K and I've noticed that you really have to pay attention to pushing in the clutch all the way down and just push the stick forward and it will go in. The clutch must be adjusted properly too. I too had to relearn from a Muncie. Don't get discouraged, just practice and concentrate and all will be OK.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Are you using the stock shifter?

I took mine to the track at about 600 miles and I have yet to miss a shift in any gear.

The guys are right about just pushing the shifter up for 3rd due to the heavy spring preload towards the center gate, it should go right in.

You didn't state what happens when you attempt the shift. Does it grind or just doesn't engage?

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I just TNT'd with mine last night and out of 12 passes, I missed third 3 times. I shift at or about 6K and I've noticed that you really have to pay attention to pushing in the clutch all the way down and just push the stick forward and it will go in. The clutch must be adjusted properly too. I too had to relearn from a Muncie. Don't get discouraged, just practice and concentrate and all will be OK.
you gotta push the clutch in all the way? There goes any powershifting.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Light tap of clutch when shifting, if any, basically you need some engine / trans speed differantial to do power shifts. I thought I would have to have the proshifter but stock is all I use. No issues here.
If you decide to sell it, there are lots of guys that would take it off your hands. I sold my TKO500 this way. Short stick helps too, less travel.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a TKO600 and I miss 3rd a lot, I`m workin on it though. A freind of mine has one in a 69 Camaro and his would not go in 3rd at or above 3000 rpm he called Keisler and they ended up sending him some kind of part he calls a dog key but it fixed his, Keisler sent it to him free but he had to install it.

If you want more info about this replacement part call Roy at 512-301-4344 he says he would be glad to explain the procedure.

Sid

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice, this is a great forum.

To answer some of the questions:
  • I have not measured the clutch gap, but visually my guess is around .040”. Is this too small? I am about at the end of my clutch travel (I am using the stock mechanical set-up).
  • My shifter is the stock unit supplied by Keisler
  • It doesn’t grind, just stops dead.
  • I am using the GM brand fluid recommended by Keisler
  • My shifter handle is long and I understand the physics that can make this an issue.
Please respond on the clutch gap, but I certainly will try:
  • The shifting techniques mentioned
  • Give Keisler a call about the “dog key” (anybody have a better definition on this?)
  • Get a shorter stick.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I'll trade the powershifting for the OD and 600 ftlb rating:D
The big appeal to me was you could beat on this tranny with a high power engine and it would hold up. Anyone could baby a M22 behind a 600 hp big block, but to rip through the gears with stickies, you need some good parts. It would seem the TKO-600 has the strength, but its design just doesnt want to allow it. I dunno thats a huge hit in appeal to me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
dial indicating the bell housing also has a large impact on shifting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Clutch is a Hayes diaphragm so I should be OK.
Per my other response the Bell housing was indexed.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I dont think the shifter was ever designed for drag strip shifting the way a Hurst external rod shifter is. Just takes a lighter touch. Nice thing is that you'll never break this trans.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts