Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68 SS, 4 Speed M20

My 4 speed transmission is a Muncie 4 speed M20. It is original. All numbers match according to the research I've done. I talked to the original owner that I bought the car from and she says the transmission has never been removed.

My vehicle vin# is stamped on the left side of the transmission. However, on the right side is what appears to be another vin#. That number is 18K144282.

Do any of the experts know if this is a vin# and how it got there or is it another number that I have misinterpreted? Any help would be appreciated.

Bill B.

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
Where was the car built? What plant?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First pic is right side of transmission. You can see P8T12 and the number 18k144282. Second pic is left side of transmission with my vehicle vin# 18z133178. Car was assembled in Fremont. Hope this helps.

Bill B.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
I believe in the vin you posted that is from a Kansas car. I think that is what the k is. Sounds like it is not he original trans. I also think all vins were stamped on the passenger side. At least the ones I have seen. The trans was built on December 12th 1967. What is build date on your trim tag?

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
Is the second number stamped on the midplate? If so perhaps your trans is made from two different transmissions?

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
The Fremont VIN was an early February 1968 build and the Kansas VIN was probably a late third week of December 1967. My money is on the Kansas VIN being the likely original one! The Fremont VIN is in fact on the driver's side main case.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the second number stamped on the midplate? If so perhaps your trans is made from two different transmissions?
All the numbers are stamped on the main case just before the tail assembly mates to the main case. Vehicle vin on the left side(driver) and Muncie build date and "k" vin on the right side (passenger).

I can't figure out why, if the trans. has been changed someone would go to the trouble of stamping the vehicle vin on the trans. Would a Chevrolet dealer stamp it if it got replaced? Would the factory if they had to change it out before delivery? I can't see a commercial shop stamping it. I'm just trying to get a best guess as to what happened. I appreciate the input.

Bill B.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts