Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I appreciate everyone's comments and your confidence in my Muncie knowledge, but, there is a higher authority, Larry Fischer.

To just confirm my comments about the speedo gears, I called Larry. He just happened to see the article, but hadn't read it yet. So I pointed out the coments about the Corvettes having reverse rotation speedo gears and pointed out the photo of the 2 gears that were opposite from each other. His comments about reverse rotation on GM trannys such as 3sp, Muncies, P-glides, T-350s, etc-----------ABSOLUTELY NOT! He knows of the existance of the reverse cut gears, but, like me, doesn't know what they are used in. So don't anyone get concerned about whether or not your Muncie, 3sp, P-glide, T-350, etc. does or doesn't have a reverse rotation speedo gear. It does NOT!
Although Larry did enlighten me about one thing. Even though the Chev products used the 429 tailhousing (left side speedo) up to 65, Larry said GTOs used (he thinks) the 429 tailhousing through 70. That made me think to check my Olds parts books. The Olds (such as 442s) didn't use the 429 tail housing after 65 (the 429 tailhousing is shown to be a 63-4 part, but Larry says SOME early 65 Muncies did get a 429 tailhousing). Therefore, generally speaking, ESPECIALLY on Chev products across the board, the 3857584, right side speedo tailhousing is 65-later. Just as I thought and have seen for over 30yrs of building Muncies.

One last comment. NOTHING is carved in granite as far as cars go. Once in a blue moon something different from normal will pop up and everyone and their dog will swear it is wrong and the guy who owns it is a liar. But then as a surprise, the guy who owns it, special ordered it new and has every scrap of paper to prove it. So, just because DZ said it, doesn't make it Gospel.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 01-22-2000).]

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Just for your reference, I pulled an M20 out of a 1965 SS Hardtop VIN 138375Z102255 and it has the 3846429 extension housing with left side speedo gear.

3-11-2000: Just removed an M20 from an all original 1966 GTO 389 Tri-power car and it had the 3846429 extension housing which confirms Pontiac used these past 1965.

[This message has been edited by David_Bates (edited 05-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by David_Bates (edited 05-11-2000).]

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,
That helps to confirm that some early 65s did or may have got the 429 housing. The first car should have been 100001, and this one would appear to be fairly early, 2,255th one built at that plant.

------------------
Tom Parsons

W

·
0 Posts
DZ, talked to Larry, super prices on Muncie parts. I met him a number of years ago at corvette carlisle. Sending me the bulk discount sheet. Thanks for the tip!!!!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.