Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove my Turbo 350 Auto transmission from my chevelle and need some help. Will I be able to remove the tranny with the motor in, or am I going to need to remove the motor too? Any tips or tricks from someone who has done this would be great. The tranny is leaking fluid and not engaging when the wheels are on the grownd, I think I need to replace the pump.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You can drop it fairly easily, would help to have a lift, ramps, or a pit... and definately would help to have a friend.

i havent dropped mine before but ive done just about everything short of it...

remove driveshaft, unbolt torque converter/flexplate bolts, remove dipstick and speedo cable, disconnect linkage, disconnect cooler lines, unbolt bellhousing, get jack under trans, remove crossmember, and slide the trans back..

off the top of my head, thats how I would do it.. im sure if i forgot something, it will be mentioned..

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are a couple of simple hints for a first time tranny removal from someone that has learned the hard way.

1. Go rent a transmission jack, if you try to block and use anything else you will probably drop it.

2. Make sure you lift the car. On my '70 I swapped my tranny one afternoon, just to find I didn't have enough clearance to get under the frame.

3. Are you sure you need to remove it? If it is leaking fluid that may be all it takes to keep the it from engaging with the wheels on the ground. Check you fluid and filter first. A new pan or gasket is a cheaper place to start.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you do need to drop it get it as high as possible, be sure to put wood blocks under the frame just to be safe. Make sure your on level ground (duh) because the e-brake cable is attacked to a bracket on the tranny support.

1) drain the fluid!
2) remove the TC bolts from the flexplate
3) undo all cooler lines, speedo, linkage, driveshaft.
4)Find a way to support the motor, mabey another jack under the back end, otherwise when you take off the tranny it will usally rest on the distributer. Jack up the tranny, wiggle it out from the motor carefully drop it and slide it out.

Its fairly self explainatory once you get down there. It does help to have a friend there to help you out, not to mention to get you beers while your under the car.

Good Luck!

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
As Darin said, make sure that you have jack stands that will allow you to get the tranny under the frame. I used the tall 6 ton stands at the front and smaller 3 tons at the back, to get the whole car off the ground.
I don't remember needing any special tools. Try to find a plug for the tailshaft to keep fluid from leaking all over the place. An extra set of hands will also make this a lot easier. Good Luck.

------------------
Rick (Abilene Texas)
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038

·
Registered
29 Posts
quick7d,
I have this done twice on my 64.Tell your wife and children to get ear plugs to block the cuss words! hehe.. seriously..if you have headers they will need to spread.Easier to take bolts out the of headers before raising car!Make sure the car is high as possible.Make sure it wont roll when drive shaft is removed(block tires).Those cooling lines are a real "pita".Easier to get at when trans in lowered a bit (this will bend them a little)removing headers will also give room to get a wrench on them.Helps to use a good line wrench here(1/2 or 9/16)
good luck and above all else bribe a friend with a case of cold ones Tony

------------------
Tony Leep
Scottsburg,Indiana
64SS Grocery Getter
ICQ 34163913

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Don't forget to disconnect the detent cable at the carb. You'll only have to take one header off if you have them, the one on the right side. You'll definitly need a helper, one you can trust.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well i have changed trannys on my 350 since i got it in peices atleast 3 times over 1 year and now i have a good th350 so it ain't comming out but since the fenders were off and i had great acess to the engine i just putlled the hole engine (had to cuss alot cus of the headers but dawell) I found it easy but i have never tried just taking the tranny out from underneath i imagine it would work fine if you had a solid ground and lifted the car a bit. u can always start underneath and if you find it hard pull the eninge (remember to disconect all wiring) good luck

------------------
Owner of a 66 chevelle malibu.... might be on the road next year. I HOPE!!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Well from someone that has taken out more transmissions than I can count I can tell you that it only gets easier the more times ya do it. The main thing is to make sure you have plenty of room to work, take your time, and be ready for a mess {trans fluid is messy no matter how careful you are}. I'll agree with the recommendations made by everyone else. Some things to remember is that you will need a 1/2 inch line wrench and a open end 1/2 inch, the trans is front heavy due to the converter so be aware of that. Also while you have the trans out I would recommend you put in a new trans mount, preferably a poly mount.

any more questions you can just email me...

later
J.J. FIG

------------------
MCC member #256
http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hate pulling transmissions, and will Invent excuses to pull motor and trans as an assembly.Things like " well I wanted to put alum heads on anyway or oil pan gasket was leaking a little.
But for your case try to borrow a driveshaft yolk and wire it in this will reduce the mess some. after you get it out replace every seal/gasket, put that higher stall converter you've been wanting to get, new filter, everything cuz belive me you are not gonna want to do this again,ever!

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Only thing I would add is to remove the torque converter with the trans, way less mess that way. Leave driveshaft in rear of tranny if possible when dropping trans or get a spare yoke to stop the fluid leakage. These things are heavy, careful. I kind of agree with Harley and avoid this when possible, but I avoid automatics altogether if possible. tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.