Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 Malibu 350 with a THM 350 automatic. The car has about 50K original miles!! I drive the car once or twice a week. Tonight I drove her and parked on a steep hill. Came out a bit later and noticed an area of tranny fluid. Is there an overflow on the THM? And, would it leak a bit if it was at a pretty severe angle? I noticed about 3/4 quart on the ground. She drove home with no problems. I checked the level and was OK. Does anyone know if this tranny has a mechanism to where if it has too much fluid in it, it will drain from underneath or if parked at an angle it would overflow. This one has me scratching my head. Thanks for all input...
------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

[This message has been edited by 70Chevelle 350 (edited 11-26-99).]

·
Registered
174 Posts
well i had my th350 all toped up but didn't install the speedo cable, it kept loosing fluid and i put it up on ramps and all hell broke lose, all the fluid just came out. on the cable at the end where it plugs into the tranny there is a o-ring and it could be old and not working so letting fluid out. i suggest put it up on ramps get under it and fell round for where it could be coming from, check around the housing for the speedo, also the cross member could have fluid on it and that can come from the same place. don't ask why i didn't think about fluid comming out the housing for the speedo but i didn't so now i always say check around there first. good luck

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have noticed it coming off of the crossmember. I plan on investigating more. I really just am curious to know that if the tranny had a bit too much fluid and when parked on a severe slope would it leak, or overflow?

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

·
Registered
167 Posts
Entirely possible for it to leak at the fill tube or speedo cable, even if it wasn't overfilled, if you part on a hill, and there's a little knick in one of the o-rings or something like that.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
42 Posts
I get the same problem with my 1/2 pick up. The rear seal is starting to wear out and when I park on a uphill grade it will leak.
One of those things that needs to be fixed, but I always seem to find something else to work on.

------------------
Lynn Robinson
Pacheco, Calif.
64 Malibu SS, 71 Camaro SS
"Just Hit the Ball and Touch em All"
Team Chevelle Member #246

·
Registered
119 Posts
Some 350 rear yokes have a hole in the center of it. These were used on transmissions that had a sleeve with an O-ring in the tailshaft. I had one leak out 9 quarts in my pickup when I parked on a hill all day. Make sure you have the right yoke. It might have been changed some time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am noticed that the speedo cable was loose at the transmission. Seemed to have a bit of fluid around it. I tightened it back "finger" tight. Could this be the source of the leak, and could this much fluid come from the speedo cable? I drove her around after tightening and hasn't leaked yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks 66! Any comments???

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

·
Registered
174 Posts
well if the speedo was a little lose that was the prob. if it was able to move a bit it was causing the oil to get past. i suggest to just check the bolt, screw whatever you wish to call it every one in a while to make sure it doesn't come lose again. if you wanted too you could put it in with some locktight on it to make sure it doesn't vibarate lose.

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.