Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this message board.

I am about to buy a 66 Chevelle that has no engine and trans. I have a 383 Stroker that I built up for a 85 Camaro. I sold the Camaro without engine and am going to put the 383 in this 66 Chevelle. My question is what trans will work in the 66? The one that came out of the Camaro is a 700R4. Will it work in the Chevelle? What are the pros and cons? What is the recommened trans? TH350, TH400, 7004R, 200R4? Just wonderin'

Thank you

Kynan

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
WELCOME to the BEST site on the net and MERRY CHRISTMAS. If it was me, I would use either the th350 or the th400.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a 67 SS and love the 700R. I had a 350 turbo in it and then went with a 700R for cruzin. With a 700 you'll have to shorten your drive shaft, and modify your crossmember. I just bought a crossmember from a company in CA. that makes one for our application. If you wnat more info just email me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
the 700 is the better tranny but it has a problem with a lot of torque. if your worried about holding up the Th400 is the best option, but keep in mind the Th400 eats about 50HP

or you could do like I am and go with the T-56 Six speed manual. (cant wait till its done)

also you can consider the 200r-4 cause it doesnt need a new crossmember. but they are not even as strong as the 700r-4

------------------
Justin McIver
Sacramento CA
66-454-th350

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.