Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 72 chevelle ss 350. saginaw 4-spd. how do i find out if the transmission was the original?? what numbers do I match up???

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
Somewhere on the tranny case there should be stamped numbers that match the last 6 of your VIN.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
48 Posts
I too have a saginaw 4 sp in my 70 elke, the Chevrolet information does'nt even list it as an option/base trans. It is a numbers match for the car 350 2bbl, but information on the shifter ( I need to replace the reverse lock-out detent assy ) seems non-available, the dealer only shows it in the parts manual, but no parts available. If you are going to replace the shifter, let me know as I would like to get it (for parts, ect)Jim

------------------
Jim
70 El Camino
77 SS El Camino (wife's)
69 CorV8
Springfield, Oregon
Team Chevelle #284 Gold
ACES #3227

·
Registered
36 Posts
Second design Saginaws were used from late 1967 to 1977 in under 300 horsepower applications, so it seems the Sag is a stock application. The second design has larger dogs on the gears and synchros and some revised thrust surfaces.

They were made in Saginaw until late 1969, then all production was moved into the Muncie factory until the Saginaw ceased to be used in '77.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just bought a Saginaw 4 speed for a 79 El Camino I have. The El Camino has a 3 speed manual tranny in it and I want a 4 speed. I read somewhere that in order to put a 4 speed in it I have to use a Saginaw because of the shifter location. I also read that there was a Saginaw with a real low first gear that is somewhere around 3:50 to 1, does anyone know how to identify the Saginaw 4 speed tranny with the low first gear?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Beg to differ about the statement "...until the Saginaw ceased to be used in '77"

The Saginaw WAS the transmission used in the "G-body" MM4 (manual 4 speed)applications 1978-81.. Malibu, Monte Carlo, El Camino, etc.

I know, I've owned quite a few of them. See my webpage (if Netscape still doesn't have the homepage sites still screwed up).

If it wasn't a Saginaw, when I rebuilt the one in the 4 speed 1978 Monte Carlo.. it's got Saginaw parts in it now!!

Thanks.

------------------
our Website: sites.netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.