Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 Chevelle, 350 2bbl, ???automatic. The tranny pan is deffinately square with one corner cut off. Which I have learned this implies THM350. My build sheet says M40 CBC TRANS. According to the build sheet decoding on this site, M40 implies THM400. All this equates to one confused Chevelle owner. Anyone have any ideas? Oh, another thing that points to a THM350 is I got a tranny filter kit for a THM350 and it was exact as the old. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Does it have the switch above the gas pedal inside? If so, a previous owner may have changed it out. Seems like a lot of trouble though if they had a transmission failure. May just have been an error on the build sheet or that's what they had in stock that day. Seems to be an odd combination to order, a TH400 with a 350 2bbl motor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does not have a switch above the gas pedal. What does that indicate? Also the protecto plate has Y0A20, which also appears on the right hand side of the tranny pan. Sounds like a misprinted build sheet. Still a mystery...... Thanks for all replies!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hey DSMITH:
As I posted on the other one:
PG:square trans pan
TH350:square with corner cut
TH400:It looks like Texas

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Here's what the code means;

Y0A20

Y=Turbo-Hydramatic 350 Toledo Built
0=model year 70
A=Month Jan
20=day 20

This info from the Protect-O-plate decodeing info in the Chevy parts catalog.

What assembly plant did the car come from, Atlanta?? I have four 1970 build sheets from Atlanta and here's what they say;

engine=307 Trans=M40 CBC TRANS
engine=307 Trans=M38 CBC TRANS
engine=396 Trans=M40 CBC TRANS
engine=396 Trans=M40 CBC TRANS

Some literture I have seen for the 70 El Camino'ss list the TH trans as M40 for every engine.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 06-18-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.