Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This all started last year when two teeth broke off of the fourth gear on my Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed transmission.
Replacement parts are almost non existent,but I managed to find both of the fourth gears used at a decent price.
I pulled the tranny out the other week and took it out to my buddy's transmission shop in my hometown.
He pulled it apart and I did all the clean up and helped take the gears off of the shafts and press the new ones on.
With the shafts assembled,I put it all back together and sealed it up and tightened it up.
The new Long shifter,tweaked by Jody Haag,was mocked up and a back up light switch bracket was made and installed by me.
I put it all back together,got the new shifter on,and went for a test drive.and everything worked just fine.
After almost 20 years of shifting with the old Hurst Vertical Gate II Inline shifter it sure was different using an H pattern model.
I havent quite finished this project as the trans tunnel needs some fabrication,and I also plan on putting new black carpet in to replace the grey thats in there now.Ever since I put the Scat Procar seats in that have black on the sides and grey in the middle I have wanted to put black carpet in.
I'll post some pictures and maybe a video when I get a chance.
Guy

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant say about vertical v H-patterns as H is all I've used, but you are going to LOVE that Long shifter.
Already do Gene !!!
Guy

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Congrats. Parts are getting like hens teeth, which is a shame b/c it's a neat transmission design. Jody does awesome work. The Long is awesome, especially to me the reverse lockout.

Looking forward to your pics/video

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did learn one thing today.
I noticed that the reverse lockout was kinda hard to engage,so that put me to wondering what could be the cause of that ??
So I thought that maybe the bolts that attach the shifter to the adapter plate might be too tight.
Sure enough,I loosened off the top 1/2 inch bolt a bit,and it works perfect !!
An easy fix for once,LOL
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Gas

Guy

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also,another thing I found out,is that there is a difference in the diameter of the main shaft between the older design,like mine,and the newer Richmond Gear 4+1.
The older one has a smaller diameter and uses a roller bearing in the gear.
The newer one is bigger and uses a bronze bushing.
Of course,the used gear I bought was the newer design and was too big for my main shaft.
So my buddy at the tranny shop sent it too one of our local machinists to have a bushing made to fit the older shaft.
I dont have any pictures,just some new knowledge !!
But I do find it hard to believe that there isnt more support for these transmissions,there must have been ten's of thousands of them made back in the day,and parts availability is just about non-existent.
As my buddy said,they are now pretty much obsolete with the selection of overdrive gear boxes available today,but at the time,they were a new and revolutionary concept,and they worked well with tall rear gearing like the GM 3.08:1 and low powered smog engines from the eighties.The extra low 3.28 first gear must have been a real kick in the a#$$ for cars back then.
Guy

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Also,another thing I found out,is that there is a difference in the diameter of the main shaft between the older design,like mine,and the newer Richmond Gear 4+1.
Of course,the used gear I bought was the newer design and was too big for my main shaft.
So my buddy at the tranny shop sent it too one of our local machinists to have a bushing made to fit the older shaft.
I dont have any pictures,just some new knowledge !!
But I do find it hard to believe that there isnt more support for these transmissions,there must have been ten's of thousands of them made back in the day,and parts availability is just about non-existent.
As my buddy said,they are now pretty much obsolete with the selection of overdrive gear boxes available today,but at the time,they were a new and revolutionary concept,and they worked well with tall rear gearing like the GM 3.08:1 and low powered smog engines from the eighties.The extra low 3.28 first gear must have been a real kick in the a#$$ for cars back then.
Guy
Yeah, I'm surprised as well about parts. There must have been a stock of replacement parts somewhere. I think I'll be going a little easier with mine now

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
That's interesting. Mine is a Richmond, not a Doug Nash, from about 2009-2010-ish, and it's all bearings from what I remember as I've been in there a couple times. I wonder when the design was changed. Is yours a Doug Nash?

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's interesting. Mine is a Richmond, not a Doug Nash, from about 2009-2010-ish, and it's all bearings from what I remember as I've been in there a couple times. I wonder when the design was changed. Is yours a Doug Nash?

View attachment 740085
Mine is an original Doug Nash and it was put in the car probably in the late eighties,1987-88 if I had to guess.
I have no idea when the shaft change came about,or even why they did that ??
Mine had a needle bearing roller in the 4th gear on the main shaft and the newer one had the bronze bushing.
Guy

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm surprised as well about parts. There must have been a stock of replacement parts somewhere. I think I'll be going a little easier with mine now
LOL,I'll probably be a bit easier on mine too !!
Guy

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Repair manual and installation instructions attached if ever needed. I have found the repair manual very helpful, partly because it lists all the part numbers and has a parts diagram.
Thank You !!!
Very good information to have.
Guy

Reactions: 72mojave

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys know how one thing leads to another,well this is the case with this project.
Ever since I put the Scat/Procar seats in that are grey in the middle and black on the sides,as compared to the original seats that were all grey,I always thought that black carpet would look good.
So what the heck,this is as good a time as any to do this.
When I put the Inline shifter in many years ago I didnt like the way that the trim ring would have screwed to the hump as it would have been bent down over the hump.At the time I took a piece of sheetmetal and made my own panel to screw the trim ring too.Now the new shifter uses a much smaller boot and trim ring,so it was time to re-fabricate the trans hump panel.
So thats where I am right now.Hoping to finish this project off today if all goes well,LOL
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Guy

Reactions: 427L88
1 - 14 of 14 Posts