Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to do something with my transmission setup. Stock converter TH350 behind a 383 with Thumper cam just is terrible. Came like that when I bought the car.

I've been trying to decide between a 200-4r/700r4 or a 4l80e.

I've seen some new in box older controllers for a decent price here locally.

So far I've found a GM Supermatic controller for $500, Comushift II for $600, and a TCI setup for $550 with TPS.

So i'm in it for $800-900 just for the controller and cross member just to be able to run a 4l80e.

Am I better off using that on a built 200-4r/700r4?

Who on here uses a control and how do you like it?

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I did some Research on what OD Auto Trans to put in my 67

The 200-4R has the better Gear Ratio Splits and does not need a Trans Controller / just a TV setup

I would never put a 700R4 in my car / the Gear Ratio Splits are awful / the 3.6 First Gear Ratio means that you barely get started
and then you need to Shift it to 2nd which means a very low drop in Gear ratio

The 4L80 Manual Shift that only needs a small Switch Part that only Cost about $ 250.us and is the one I would put in my car since I Race it on the Weekends
basically a TH400 with OD

The one you choose should be on how you use your Car
just easy Cruzin = 2004R
Cruzin and Strip Time = 4L80 M
http://www.jakesperformance.com/4l80/ // 4L80E FAQ – Jake's Performance

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree 100% on 700r4. I would never use that transmission again.
After having both 200r4 and 4l80e, I'd bite the bullet and go 4l80e. It's just better in every way, and being able to adjust shift points is a huge plus.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

I want to do it just one time.

I found a line on a new first gen GM supermatic controller for under $500 new but the GM software wont work on my pc and i'm getting a script error. I saw they are made by powertrain control but they told me their OEM software wont work with the GM controller they made.

The OEM software worked just fine on my PC with no issues.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just put a 4L60e, 9” w/3.7 hears, 383 sbc in my car over the winter. 2400 lock up converter.

I’ll never, ever, go back to a non-electronically controlled transmission, drive ability and adjustability is beyond great 👍

I was also concerned about the gearing of the 4l60 and I was really close in ordering a 200-4r. Hasn’t been an issue at all, haven’t noticed anything in driving the car, really no regrets I’m thrilled with the 4l60e 👍

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you using to control your 4l60e?

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I just put a 4L60e, 9” w/3.7 hears, 383 sbc in my car over the winter. 2400 lock up converter.

I’ll never, ever, go back to a non-electronically controlled transmission, drive ability and adjustability is beyond great 👍

I was also concerned about the gearing of the 4l60 and I was really close in ordering a 200-4r. Hasn’t been an issue at all, haven’t noticed anything in driving the car, really no regrets I’m thrilled with the 4l60e 👍
If you are just Cruzin around then the 4L60E should be okay

However if you want to do some Track Time that will tell you if it will last / survive

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I run a 4L60E controlled by either a GM "09354896" PCM Service Number or GM "12200411" PCM Service Number and either of these support my 4L60E, no problem. Stock stall torque converter RPM. Plenty of tune-ability in these PCM's.

You don't mention your differential gear ratio but this is an important number. I have 2.73 gears in my diff which is a monster good highway gear and great for gas mileage on an interstate highway with my 4L60E - think 1800 RPM or so at 73-75 MPH. But. But. But . . . horrible around town if I let drop into overdrive. That overdrive 4L60E gear combined with my 2.73 diff ratio loads the engine down a little too much for my tastes around town at 45 MPH or so. So for in town driving, its a manually shifted D3 for me.

It's something else for you to consider. I'm not a tire smoke guy in my EC and I have an SS Camaro if needed for that. Go with the 4L80E if you are running a lot of horsepower.

Rick

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,371 Posts
So I need to do something with my transmission setup. Stock converter TH350 behind a 383 with Thumper cam just is terrible. Came like that when I bought the car.

I've been trying to decide between a 200-4r/700r4 or a 4l80e.

I've seen some new in box older controllers for a decent price here locally.

So far I've found a GM Supermatic controller for $500, Comushift II for $600, and a TCI setup for $550 with TPS.

So i'm in it for $800-900 just for the controller and cross member just to be able to run a 4l80e.

Am I better off using that on a built 200-4r/700r4?

Who on here uses a control and how do you like it?
: cool: Running a "stock" Torque Converter is part of your problem. At least consider a 2400-ish converter before you throw an expensive OD transmission at the problem (remember you're likely going to need some floor cutting with that new transmission). What rear gear ratio are you running. You really should be around 3.55:1 or 3.73:1 to make an OD transmission work properly.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the input.

I know the current converter is killing performance and drive ability. I have to have the idle set at almost 1300 rpm so it doesn’t stall out in drive. There were several reasons why I was thinking of pulling the 350. No OD, Leak back after it sits for a week the fluid leaks out. Previous owner had some issues with the trans and after installing a shift kit it cleared them up. So I knew I’d eventually have to do something.

I’ve e been hunting for a Torque converter on craigslist or facebook. So far all I’ve found is 2 3500 stall converters. Not sure if I want that high.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts