Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familar with this type of regulator for 66 Chevelle with original Alternator ?? can it be used with my stock Alt.??

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The Well's regulator, something like a 715? Search here for Wells solid state or electronic regulator. Maybe John will post the right part number. I believe NAPA can get you one for around $12.

Peter

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The correct number for the Wells unit is VR715. However, if I recall, the Delco Remy electronic regulator was externally adjustable. I would assume that it could be used, however, I'm not absolutely certain. Have to drag my old books out to look at the schematic.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
597,000 miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys , yes the Delco Remy transistorized regulator that I have is externally regulated ..... so should be a good item for me to use on with my stock 66 ALT ??

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I misread that question. I thought you were asking about just a transistorized or electronic regulator, no the GM one specifically.

I can't think of any reason you couldn't. So stick it in and see what happens. It should work better than the old points regulator.

I'd expect it to just be a late replacement for the points regulators before the internally regulated alternators were built.

Peter

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually it's a NOS part I came across, it is larger than the std regulator and has an aluminum body with Delco-Remy cast in it also has cooling fins .The external adjustor set screw has a pointer on it and the body has - and + markings . I thought it came on the cars with the transistor ignition option ?? But will install ,looks to good not to use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts