Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys - Not sure if this is the correct place for this discussion but I've only seen these mods done on pro-touring chevelles, specifically chevelles running ls engines so this is where I'm throwing it up.

I'm in the body work stages of my build (made the mistake of buying a project 69 chevelle out of Minnesota) so my car is in pieces slowly getting cleaned up, new metal, new floors, etc. I'm thinking now would be a good time to do the trans tunnel modification that I have seen several guys (Widowmaker, Gokou, & tom_a over at the PT forum) do.

I'm hoping someone maybe even one of these guys who I mentioned can help me with some dimensions.

Any dimensions or advice on obtaining some dimensions would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Justin,

Sorry for the delay. I don't use the g-mail account much that the email went to so I forgot.

I have some rough dims. but it really is going to depend on your transmission you are using. If you really are going to cut the spine then you should have the body on the frame along with eng/trans. This will take the guessing out because you can see where to cut. The larger portion starting at the firewall measures about 18" across and tapers down to 11" around the shifter. It is 7 or 8" all the way back.
The height is about 10" high. Troy (Gokou) was where I got the idea but I have no idea what size his was. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
i raised my motor, trans, driveshaft and rear all within the body to get it to sit lower. my numbers are pretty close to toms. when i made it i sat the motor and tranny in and then set the trans tunnel on top of it. i put a 3/4" block between the tranny and the tunnel at the closest point and welded it in. so, 3/4 clearance at the tighest point on top and i left a little more than that on the sides.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. My problem is I'm in one place (Tennessee) and the car is in another (California) getting worked on. Also I'm trying to plan for an LS & 6-speed setup in the future but to get the car back together I'm thinking I'm going with the 454 and Muncie that came with the car.

My plan was to go ahead and make the mod based on your guys' dimensions knowing that I would have plenty of room for the Muncie and hopefully that will save me from having to remove interior and cut the floor up later on.

I know there are a lot of variables I probably need to take into consideration, but I was hoping to plan ahead in this area to save myself rework later.

Let me know what you guys think I'm open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Hey Guys - Not sure if this is the correct place for this discussion but I've only seen these mods done on pro-touring chevelles, specifically chevelles running ls engines so this is where I'm throwing it up.

I'm in the body work stages of my build (made the mistake of buying a project 69 chevelle out of Minnesota) so my car is in pieces slowly getting cleaned up, new metal, new floors, etc. I'm thinking now would be a good time to do the trans tunnel modification that I have seen several guys (Widowmaker, Gokou, & tom_a over at the PT forum) do.

I'm hoping someone maybe even one of these guys who I mentioned can help me with some dimensions.

Any dimensions or advice on obtaining some dimensions would be appreciated.
You didn't mention what your suspension package consists of or how low you want to run your car. With that said, tunnel mods are not needed unless you are gonna really slam your suspension or radically alter your diveline angles. If your planning a 3.5" or more drop, it would probably be worth it IMHO.
I run really close to a 3" drop w/ a Ford 9" rear and a 3.5" drive shaft on my 69 and I have plenty of drive line clearance but any lower and I think I'd mod my tunnel. Although I love the look of the wheels tucked up really high in the wheel wells on a 69, I don't like to run my front cross member & pan that close to the ground for normal street driving. It just wouldn't be practical for me.
At the stage you are at, if it were me, I would settle on the Wheel, Tire & Brake package first then plan my suspension package & ride highth around that and see what is needed for suspension and drive line clearance from there. Suspension mock up is essencial when doing the PT look IMO.
Good luck with your project and keep us posted on the progress. Most of all have fun with it :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts