Team Chevelle banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I went with the ATI case as well.
The best thing I ever did on my car is dump the CSR case and get an sfi case. ATI in my case. I'll never look back again. The sfi case is a hit on the wallet but it more than pays for itself in trouble free transmission r&r's. I picked mine up through FTI in Florida. Great customer service.
The BEST thing I ever did on my car is chunk the CSR shield and get an SFI transmission case. For a while I was pulling the transmission on almost a weekly basis for converter changes. That was miserable 2-3 hour experience every time fighting that stupid shield. That was even after drilling a hole in the firewall to access one bolt because there was no other way. With the SFI case it is back to a 30-45 minute (depending on how inspired I am) exercise to drop the trans. and I don’t even develop Tourette Syndrome anymore when I change the transmission.
I have a question for all three of you, (as well as for anyone else who has opted for the SFI trans cases) that I'm hoping you will answer: Did any of you have to modify, cut, or grind any parts of the firewall, floor board, or trans floor tunnel on your Chevelles for clearance of the SFI trans cases you bought? I'd just like to know what I'm in for. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
From what I remember, the factory used different floor tunnels for different transmissions. My 69' came with a manual trans and the 400th barely fits. Do the ultra bells give more clearance in that area?

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
running an SFI composite shield on my 68;
covers top 2/3rd's of the T400
i did have to massage the shield slightly in a couple of areas so it fit snuggly to the T400
it is tight at the top several bellhousing bolts and IIRC the fasteners are reduced 7/16th heads
this was a manual trans tunnel that was cut when i was running the tremec 5-speed
that may have allowed better fitment room?

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I have a question for all three of you, (as well as for anyone else who has opted for the SFI trans cases) that I'm hoping you will answer: Did any of you have to modify, cut, or grind any parts of the firewall, floor board, or trans floor tunnel on your Chevelles for clearance of the SFI trans cases you bought? I'd just like to know what I'm in for. Thanks in advance.
Same as Jarad. I didn't have to modify anything for the aftermarket SFI case.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Csr shield in my car and i really don't find it all that bad to swap the trans with it.

for christ's sake I rebuilt the trans in a hotel room and had to r&r the trans in a hotel parking lot at 1am. can't be all that bad.

just get a big hammer and make some room for it in the tunnel. I'll pass on the blanket and I have two TH400's for my car so even if i do 1 aftermarket case, sooner or later i'm going to have to put a stock case with a shield, so I just stay with the stock case and spend that $1,800 somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
just get a big hammer and make some room for it in the tunnel.
That's^ EXACTLY what I DID. With my car on my brother's lift, I took a long handled 20 LB sledge hammer to the tunnel of my Chevelle, and even that wasn't enough just to fit the stock case WITHOUT ANY SHIELD. I still had to use a 2 by 4 piece of lumber and the weight of the car to push the tunnel upward enough merely to get the TH400 transmission installed by itself. So there's no shield going in my car without cutting the floor. And that's exactly what I'm considering, and might end up doing.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
From what I remember, the factory used different floor tunnels for different transmissions. My 69' came with a manual trans and the 400th barely fits.
Based on what I went through just to get the TH400 in my 70' that^ MUST be correct.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I rebuilt the trans in a hotel room and had to r&r the trans in a hotel parking lot at 1am.
That's actually a pretty cool story. It reminds me of the time I did a ring & pinion gear swap on my super charged Mercury Marauder on it's 8.8 rear end at a friend's house inside his garage by myself while him and his Mrs. were away on vacation. I had to do it without a lift nor an air compressor, while on my back with the car up on six jack stands. I used a four foot long black iron plumbing pipe that I slid over a 3/4" drive ratchet to accomplish the approximate 170+ lf/lbs of torque on the pinion nut to compress the crush collar, and obtain the specified 25 in/lbs pre-load on the pinion bearings. The job came out fine, and the tooth pattern was good. I drove the car on the street taching up another 51,000 miles, and raced it at the drag strip during the three years I owned it after that gear swap without any issues from the 4.56:1 rear gears that I installed that day.

·
Premium Member
10,745 Posts
Nope

21 - 33 of 33 Posts