Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to install a TCI brand aluminum shield on my TH400 trans, but nothing doing. The trans floor tunnel didn't even come close to providing enough room for that thing, (no great surprise, right?). So since I really don't want to cut the floor up, (1970 Chevelle) I've been considering either a composite shield, (which still might not fit between the trans and the floor tunnel) or a blanket.

Anyone use a blanket on a street/strip car? Can the blankets be taken on and off the trans case without dropping the transmission? And if they cannot, has anyone here driven on the street with the blanket on? What temperature increases have you seen in the trans fluid as a result of having a blanket? Sure I would love to get a Transmission built with an ATI "Super case" I suppose that would be the ultimate, but that's an expensive option.

I was considering an attempt to beef up the floor tunnel enough to act as a shield, but I dunno if that's possible, or if it would be NHRA legal regardless of how it was done or what material is used. Some type of kevlar floor insert would be nice, but I don't believe such an animal exists.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hi i have put a blanket for the same reason , we have put it on without dropping the trans , i ve added a trans temp gauge and a transmission cooler with fan in the back just under the gas tank . but to this day i have not driven the Elco much on the street so i can not provide temperatures :(

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: BillyGman

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I’ve run a blanket on my th400 when I ran one.
I needed to lower the trans to slip it over and made a shield to cover the shift linkage.
I had to run straps to the floor to keep it from slipping backwards towards the driveshaft.

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
I ran a blanket and a TCI shield in my car with the 400. The shields are not the best fitting but can they can be made to fit. It took a little massaging of the floor and then put the shield on and jack the trans into the car. Mine still had rub marks on it where it was rubbing the floor but it fit. Several of us had the shields in after running poor fitting blankets and them getting soaked in oil. I also had made a bracket that bolted to the pan rail to hold the blanket off the shift linkage.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Thanks for this picture Oliver. That looks like a nice set-up. I've never seen anyone mount their trans cooler in the back of the car like that. I really like that idea, because doing it that way wont impede the cooling of the engine radiator in the front of the car. As far as that blanket that you were able to remove and install without dropping the trans, do you remember what brand and what part number it is?

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran a blanket and a TCI shield in my car with the 400. The shields are not the best fitting but can they can be made to fit. It took a little massaging of the floor and then put the shield on and jack the trans into the car. Mine still had rub marks on it where it was rubbing the floor but it fit. Several of us had the shields in after running poor fitting blankets and them getting soaked in oil. I also had made a bracket that bolted to the pan rail to hold the blanket off the shift linkage.
Ray, for some reason I had to message the floor of my 70 Chevelle just to get the TH400 transmission to fit all by itself. I actually had to use a long 2 by 4 wedge it underneath the trans tunnel with the car on my brother's lift, and use the vehicle weight by lowering the car slowly, just to tweak the floor enough so I can install the TH400 without the shield. I don't know why that is. So there was no way I was going to get that shield in there too without cutting the floor. It really was a terrible fit on the trans housing. But maybe after I pull the engine next month, I'll re-visit that possibility and take another look.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve run a blanket on my th400 when I ran one.
I needed to lower the trans to slip it over and made a shield to cover the shift linkage.
I had to run straps to the floor to keep it from slipping backwards towards the driveshaft.
Thank you. Do you recall which blanket you chose?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yes I got it from Summit , it was tight but we managed to get in on without talking it off

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
Ray, for some reason I had to message the floor of my 70 Chevelle just to get the TH400 transmission to fit all by itself. I actually had to use a long 2 by 4 wedge it underneath the trans tunnel with the car on my brother's lift, and use the vehicle weight by lowering the car slowly, just to tweak the floor enough so I can install the TH400 without the shield. I don't know why that is. So there was no way I was going to get that shield in there too without cutting the floor. It really was a terrible fit on the trans housing. But maybe after I pull the engine next month, I'll re-visit that possibility and take another look.
Have you checked the body mounts? The car came factory with a 400 so there is no reason it shouldn't fit.

Reactions: sstom66

·
Registered
1969 El Camino SS396
804 Posts
I run a CSR composite shield on my '69 Camaro. My car has the stock firewall and floor. I can't remove the transmission by itself. The shield is so thick where the bellhousing bolts are that they hit the firewall. There is no way to get the bolts out without sliding the engine and transmission forward. Might have the same problem in a Chevelle with the original firewall and tunnel. I already purchased an ATI case. I'll switch to that when I have the transmission freshened up.

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
I run a CSR composite shield on my '69 Camaro. My car has the stock firewall and floor. I can't remove the transmission by itself. The shield is so thick where the bellhousing bolts are that they hit the firewall. There is no way to get the bolts out without sliding the engine and transmission forward. Might have the same problem in a Chevelle with the original firewall and tunnel. I already purchased an ATI case. I'll switch to that when I have the transmission freshened up.

View attachment 701501
That was the same problem I had with the CSR flexplate shield. The bolts were so close to the firewall that I contemplated putting holes in the firewall to get the bolts out from in the car. I did change to ARP bolts with the smaller heads and eliminated the plate that tied the bolts together just to get more room. I think I ran that 1 year and then went to an ultrabell.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not an Ultrabell and a cool chrome sticker?
That's an expensive option, and doesn't that only guard against a torque converter and/or flexplate explosion? What about if a front drum explosion occurs? The ATI Super case would guard against that, but that means a whole new trans with an extra $1,300 for the Super case alone.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you checked the body mounts? The car came factory with a 400 so there is no reason it shouldn't fit.
I don't think that can be the problem because the first thing I did when I bought the car was have it sent to the bodyshop where the body was taken off the frame, the frame was sandblasted and painted, and they installed new OE type rubber body mounts before installing the body back onto the frame. And it was only two months afterwards that I installed the transmission.
Yes I got it from Summit , it was tight but we managed to get in on without talking it off

Thank you Oliver. Wow that blanket is very inexpensive. Nice!!

View attachment 701501
Thanks for the info. And that ATI Super Case is a pretty piece!!! Maybe if/when I get a new transmission I'll opt for that, but my present transmission has zero miles and zero runs on it, so that won't be anytime soon

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I run a CSR shield on the TH400 in my 71 Chevelle. The case required minor grinding to fit the shield but it installed under the stock floor and firewall without incident.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
The BEST thing I ever did on my car is chunk the CSR shield and get an SFI transmission case. For a while I was pulling the transmission on almost a weekly basis for converter changes. That was miserable 2-3 hour experience every time fighting that stupid shield. That was even after drilling a hole in the firewall to access one bolt because there was no other way. With the SFI case it is back to a 30-45 minute (depending on how inspired I am) exercise to drop the trans. and I don’t even develop Tourette Syndrome anymore when I change the transmission.

·
Premium Member
10,745 Posts
The best thing I ever did on my car is dump the CSR case and get an sfi case. ATI in my case. I'll never look back again. The sfi case is a hit on the wallet but it more than pays for itself in trouble free transmission r&r's. I picked mine up through FTI in Florida. Great customer service.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts