Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
It looks to me like my tranny fluid is slightly above the full mark, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Should I drain it a little? Not having normal color perception makes it hard for me to read the clear red fluid on the grey/silver dipstick. Thanks!
kevin d

·
Registered
35 Posts
A little extra won't hurt. If you are concerned check the car hot, on a level surface, with the tranny in neutral (remember to block the tires). If you see foam on the dipstick then you need to drain some.

If you need to do this with no drain plug on the tranny pan, pull out the vacuum modulator and jack up the opposite side of the car. You should be able to get enough out to bring the level down. You can also remove the governer cover but you will have to replace the gasket. If you have a oil suction pump (use for i/o's on boats) you can use that to remove the excess through the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't advise running too much or extra fluid. If the tranny gets hot, it will come out the overflow tube. This makes a mess of your undercarriage. The worst part is it will burn off the exhaust pipes and ruin a nice looking exhaust system.

I learned this one the hard way.

Are you checking the fluid properly? Do as Todd said.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Kevin,
Another way to drain a bit of it out without too much trouble is to pull a line off of the tranny cooler or radiator (which ever yours go to) and get a cup and have someone start the car. Be ready though, it comes out FAST! I agree with David, it's not a good idea to run with it too full. Hope this helps.

----Jerry----

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.