Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steel bed car trailer needs a paint job. Pitted condition of the deck does not make it a candidate for a nice, glossy spray-on paint job. I do have a paint gun, but not much experience, and no real suitable place to paint. Soooo, I want a paint I can brush or roll on.

I have used the standard, inexpensive Rustoleum gloss black that all the hardware stores sell. It is OK for a year or two, but then doesn't look so good. I am sure there are options out there from a number of paint sources, like epoxies, which can be brushed or rolled on. But don't know any folks with experience with them.

Would appreciate any suggestions and experience on this.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
What prep are you doing? Sand blasting? Wire wheel? The cheap is still Tremclad or Rustoleum but you still need to do some prep or nothing you put on will last. I have seen some cheap paint jobs with Tremclad or Rustoleum last a long time with good prep.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prep will be very basic for this application. Will pressure wash, but no sand blasting.

There are only 3-4 spots with loose rust. Will chip those, and then wire wheel them and any other surface rust areas. Most of the paint is pretty solid, just well faded, with minimal rusting starting to come through..

Probably will do a complete coat of primer, but in any case will follow the manufacturer's directions.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
You should run a sander over the whole thing so the primer/paint has something to bite into. Just a scuff to take off gloss

·
Registered
617 Posts
you should run a sander over the whole thing so the primer/paint has something to bite into. Just a scuff to take off gloss
x2

·
Registered
723 Posts
I was going to suggest the bed liner myself. I used a Hurculiner on 2 different trucks and it's held up great. They fade quickly, but otherwise hold up great.

I'd suggest some phosphoric acid over that rust after you've wire brushed it.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,713 Posts
I just brush mine with the Rustoleum every few years. I wire wheel the rust spots and paint them with POR 15, wipe it down with grease remover then have at it with a brush. It fades after a year or so but so what. I don't enter the trailer in any shows. I only use it once a year anyway.

·
Registered
767 Posts
get i galvanized dipped never worry about paint again.....or sell it and buy a trailer already galvanized...up here it would be 1000.00 so down there it should cost the same as paint

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Magic brand from Tractor Supply is an option. You can add a catalyst hardener. Roll it on with 4 inch foam rollers.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I used POR Spray on my boat trailer......turned out nice..... was a galvanized trailer and didn't really need it, but I liked the white paint look better

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
There are a lot of options out there, and each has its pluses and minuses, from the standpoints of prep work, application requirements, appearance, durability and cost.
At this time, I am leaning toward either Tractor Supply implement/tractor paint with hardener added; Rustoleum Industrial paint, or Sherwin Williams Macropoxy 646-1000.
POR seems to be nasty to work with, plus it has poor UV resistance unless top coated. My trailer will be outside.
Bedliner/undercoat seems to offer good durability, but some of them fade. And, I want a smoother appearance than they seem to offer.
Thanks again everyone. Team Chevellle always comes through.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Did you get this done? I'm in the process of painting mine after a remodel/rebuild.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
If you want something to last, there are some very good industrial epoxy paint systems that will last a long time that can be rolled or brushed. However, you will need a good prep to get a good profile on the metal such that your new coating has a proper chance to adhere itself to the substrate. If you just want it to look nicer, then be prepared to keep applying paint regularly. Therefore don't waste good materials on substandard prep.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts