Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a trailer hitch for my '66 Beaumont (Chevelle).
Did a search on this & found some info from '99. Basically said "you have to build your own" and that U-Haul could do it for a fair price.
I'm hoping someone has found something that works, installs easily and doesn't look like a POS.
I don't have a welder (though maybe this is one I can use to convince the wife this is the time to buy one
) so fabricating one would mean going to someone else...

Any suggestions? It's just for a 500 pound tent trailer so a Class 1 style would be fine...

Thanks
Wes

------------------
CCCB Member #532
66 Beaumont

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
If you dont have a welder, your hurtin.
I have fabricated hitches for quite a few vehicles. For your 66, all you need is a class 1. Thats like nothin. You will need a piece of 5/8 x 2 CRS or HRS for the toung. Drill a 3/4 hole in the end for the ball. A 1 7/8 ball is fine. Weld a piece of 1/2 x 1 CRS across the toung and drill a hole in each end to bolt to the bumper. Use at least a 1/2 inch bolt, a good grade too. Make a cross piece that will go from one frame rail to the other out of 1 1/2 x 3/16 angle iron. Well a plate on each end and drill 3/8 holes to mount to frame. Cut the toung the length you need and weld to the middle of the angle. Drill holes in frame and bolt it in. You might have to do some fudging here and there, so don't weld until you are sure of the fit.

Good luck.

There, no zero response.

Dave

After going through all that crap, I just remembered you can buy class 1 hitches that clamp to the bumper. No drilling, no welding.
Look in the JC Whitney catalog. Don't believe I just said that.

[This message has been edited by 69454Malibu (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I had one welded on. Figured if I hate it I can get it off. Rather not lose the trailer. With my luck the trailer will come lose and hit some Beamer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.