Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,the problem isn't with the Chevelle,but since its new(er) tow vehicle is having the problem,I'll see if I can get some help here! I wired up a new brake controller on the '75 C-10,per instructions,just as I had previously done on my '69 C-10.The older installation has worked flawlessly for years,but the new installation is not working right.The electric brakes work fine until I use any light source,blinkers or parking or headlights...then the brakes pulse and/or stay activated.I can reset by momentarily turning off the lights.Also,the connection monitor light on the controller flashes along with the blinkers,or gets brighter with engine rpm increases.Can this be a grounding fault somewhere,or is it a feedback to the controller causing this?Any or all suggestions will be checked out.I've spent this year's Chevelle improvement fund on building this tow truck...I want to be able to go racing now.Please help!

------------------
66malibu(433),69c-10(355,soon a 414),75c-10(358),65chevy-II(327),...

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
I'd check the wiring inside the multi-prong plug recepticle on the truck. It sounds like you have a short circuit or something in there. Maybe a few wire strands didn't get twisted down properly and are touching the brake circuit in there.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
On a wag 'cause I don't really know. Yeah, maybe the ground. You running a separate ground or just relying on the hitch? After this not much help.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Sounds like a short to me. If all else fails try contacting a local RV dealer and talk to their service department.

------------------
Rick
67ss bb
But dear, all it needs is a harmonic balancer.....
Rick's 67

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses,guys.I was not able to look it over again until sunset this evening,so I didn't have anything to report.But,after disassembling the (working)plugs on the '69 C-10 and the trailer,and the(non-functional) plug on the '75 C-10,the answer revealed itself to me...the problem was myself.I backed both trucks up to the trailer,bared all wires on all plugs,looked them over carefully(all laying within inches of each other)...I had wired the truckside connector on the '75 exactly as a mirror image of the '69's plug.Positive to negative,right to left,etc.The lighting (brown wire)was ok on both, but what had thrown me off was that the right/left turn signal wiring color was reversed from one truck to the other,so when I had checked signals and lights all were correct(because I had mirrored the set-up),but the pos/neg connections were also mirrored.I don't know why this dyslexic wire job didn't either blow the brake controller and/or some fuses;just lucky I guess.I now solemnly vow not to try to do any wiring late at night,in the driveway,by flashlight(held betwween teeth).

------------------
66malibu(433),69c-10(355,soon a 414),75c-10(358),65chevy-II(327),...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts