Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your thoughts on a snowblower that's mounted to a tractor vs a regular walk-behind unit? Does the tractor still move around ok? Is enough power transmitted to the snowblower through the PTO?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I have a 44" snow blower on a John Deere Mower with the Hyd lift, weight kit and chains
(These are mandatory) The neighbors love me cause I do the whole street and their driveways. ( It's belt driven )

I had a 22" walk behind before that. This is MUCH better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a '69 Simplicity lawn tractor with a 42" snowblower and I couldn't live without it, why walk when you can ride?:)
It has chains on the rear, the PTO is a pulley directly off the front of the engine and the blower is belt drive, hydraulic lift, handles fine.
It's only a one cylinder 5hp engine but I can blow snow a foot deep about 30 feet in second gear, leave it in first it will go through two foot deep drifts without even straining hard.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I also have a John Deere lawn tractor with their snowblower on the front of it. Mine lacks the trick hydraulics (it's got a long arm to lift the unit manually- works fine) and comes with chains, weights, etc. It's a 2-stage deal that works very well.

The only limit I've found with it is turning radius (tough to turn too tightly in snow). Otherwise it's excellent- and beats a walk-behind any day.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Hey, I was just looking into getting one for my John Deere.
I laughed when I saw your from Thorton Pa, Probably 5 miles from me. This snow is getting old huh?

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, I was just looking into getting one for my John Deere.
I laughed when I saw your from Thorton Pa, Probably 5 miles from me. This snow is getting old huh?

Probably less than 5 miles!!!

When you have to clear 2 ~140' driveways, it gives you alot of time to think about things...like faster ways to snowblow. My neighbor is a widow, so I do her driveway also since all the other neighbors are too busy :sad:...

I had a Jacobsen lawn tractor, 14hp. Was about 30yrs old. Sold it cause I didnt really have the room to store it along with this 26" Ariens. Wondering if I should of just located the snowblower attachment for it.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I had a 25 hp before, and the one I have now is 20 hp. I wouldn't want to drop to 14 hp - it just doesn't seem like enough to power the blower.

I noticed the power loss when cutting grass (climbing the hills in the yard) and when blowing heavy wet snow. I wouldn't recommend less than 20 hp if you intend to blow snow.

(on the good side, the 25 hp was a 2 cyl and this 20 hp is a single- uses a LOT less gas..and still gets the job done just fine. Overall, an okay move)

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
Bring on the deep snow,I just bought a 943 Cat track loader,with a full cab.Got it sitting out in the driveway,fueled up and waiting.Tired of screwing around with the farm loader.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
at my last job, we built big snowblowers to either hook up to the PTO of a large tractor or to the quick change on a skid steer.. the smallest we made was 60" wide and the biggest was 108"..
it was pretty cool seeing them in action once they got all the bugs worked out of them- a 9 foot wide 3 stage blower hooked up to a 150hp John Deere throws snow pretty damn good...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just watch out for the chained tires on concrete drives, they will leave nasty scars. Also if you have a concrete drive with any kind of a hill, chains or weights wont matter, you will not climb up the ice. This is why I had to abandon mine for a walk behind.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
My driveway is 300' with about 60x60' parking in front of the garage. A walk behind would take me all day. I use a 60" front mounted blower on a JD 955. It does a great job, but it will throw a dog bone thru a 1/2" sheet of plywood (don't ask :().

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Just watch out for the chained tires on concrete drives, they will leave nasty scars. Also if you have a concrete drive with any kind of a hill, chains or weights wont matter, you will not climb up the ice. This is why I had to abandon mine for a walk behind.
After spreading a little salt I used the chains on mine to spin and break up the ice. It's concrete and uphill. I've run 7 MPH in 12" of snow and never bog the motor down. If it's wet and heavy I can't do that tho.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Lots of truth on the chains scratching and leaving rust marks on concrete. On black top / asphat, they tend to gouge out material. My drive is flat concrete and have parked my 24" Toro for 10 years since I got a my Simplicity 17hp Hydrostatic lawn tractor with a 48" snowblower attachment. I use weights and the benefit with hydrostatic is the you can control the speed to the smallest crawl when on ice.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
I use a John Deere X728 four wheel drive, you don't need chains.

You can see the bride here snowblowing, and shes 68 years old, power steering on it and it drives nicer then a car.

Anyway in the picture shes between two garges a shed and the house.

The two garages face each other 50' in between, also about the same with the shed and house, shes kind of like in a square area.

The X728 works really good in these enclosed areas.

I have a lot of pictures and videos of it tilling and snowblowing on my website.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
I also have a Toro 10 hp walk behind I use out in front where the mail box and snowplow go through.

I don't want to use the tractor in the salt and sand they put on the road.

With the tractor your looking for things to do with them, they are fun to run.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
What's your thoughts on a snowblower that's mounted to a tractor vs a regular walk-behind unit? Does the tractor still move around ok? Is enough power transmitted to the snowblower through the PTO?
I guess I really didn't answer your question.

I can take the one I have and walk right up to a plowed bank, and keep inching through it without stopping and the bank of snow is high enough the excess will go over top the blower.

You could probably throw the snow over the top of a ranch style roof, these little tractors are unbelieveable, I used to think they were a toy, but believe me they aren't.

Rob

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
I have a 9hp walk behind, About 80' of driveway and a 36 X 24 approach and it works great. I just don't have a place to store a tractor with a blower on it. Also, I have a small zero turn that does not lend itself well to a blower.

LK

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
I have a 9hp walk behind, About 80' of driveway and a 36 X 24 approach and it works great. I just don't have a place to store a tractor with a blower on it. Also, I have a small zero turn that does not lend itself well to a blower.

LK
I never had a problem with a walk behind, I enjoyed using it, but I had a mini stroke a couple of years ago and after that the walk behind would tire me out pretty quick.

We had a Toro with the rubber paddles for years I think it was a 4 or 5 horse, it would take care of it.

But when you get up in your 60's you need to be carefull of over doing things.

Rob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts