Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting for 6 months to get this done. I entered Trophy class just to get some shakedown runs, make sure it handled ok and would hook. Boy did it hook:D I went down to the end of the track and made 3-4 blasts thru the gears from a rolling start just to make sure it drove straight and had no vibrations before racing started, it passed that test with flying colors, so the next test was to launch and I was very leery because the slicks were takeoffs from the beginning of last year, they had appx 75 passes on them, been carrying them as spares just in case I might have cut a tire. Here's how it went:

2:46pm
TT--1.356-4.099-6.455 @ 104.07- shocked when the front end came up so high, was expecting to blow off the tires.

4:17pm
TT--1.364-4.111-6.471 @ 103.85

5:35pm 1st round dialed 6.47
1.349-4.078-6.454 @ 98.30-caught the guy, lifted, still brokeout.

6:56pm bought back in dialed 6.40 thought it might go 6.3x :), went red instead
1.362-4.094-6.44 @ 104.46- I'm out and waited to make one more TT

9:32pm
1.359-4.088-6.429 @ 104.75

I'm thinking it would have went 6.41 had I not lifted in the 1st round. I think I'll have to wait til fall for my 6.3x. I was nervous as heck the first 4 passes, missing the 1-2 shift each time mainly cuz I was worried about it going straight since it was lifting/carrying the wheels so far. Its a great feeling after you get used to it :D I did nothing to improve power really, removed the viscous fan clutch and installed an X pipe, most improvement came from weight reduction, no more inner fenders, no more heater box,moved battery to the trunk and I was minus front bumper today but I'm going with a fibreglass piece anyway. Just guessing I lost maybe 150lbs off the nose while moving 50lbs to the rear, wont know for sure until I get back to Tulsa and weigh it on their track scales. The very first pass I could tell it went higher and farther than before and came back to the pits to a bunch of wide eyed racing buddies that couldnt believe what my car did. I wish I had pictures to post, but the track photographer wont get them up until Tues or Wed. I'll get a pic up when I can. Previous bests in my signature,except for 60ft, which had been 1.376 and 1/8th mph 104.85. Maybe next week now that the butterflies are gone I can do a little better. Everyone was telling me that the front wheels were 1.5ft off the ground and was setting them down just before the 60ft cone:hurray:

All in all it was a great day, the car performed flawlessly for a total frame up rebuild in a shade over 6 months, next week its back to business in no/electronics ;)

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
I've been waiting for 6 months to get this done. I entered Trophy class just to get some shakedown runs, make sure it handled ok and would hook. Boy did it hook:D I went down to the end of the track and made 3-4 blasts thru the gears from a rolling start just to make sure it drove straight and had no vibrations before racing started, it passed that test with flying colors, so the next test was to launch and I was very leery because the slicks were takeoffs from the beginning of last year, they had appx 75 passes on them, been carrying them as spares just in case I might have cut a tire. Here's how it went:

TT--1.356-4.099-6.455 @ 104.07- shocked when the front end came up so high, was expecting to blow off the tires.

I'm thinking it would have went 6.41 had I not lifted in the 1st round. I think I'll have to wait til fall for my 6.3x. I was nervous as heck the first 4 passes, missing the 1-2 shift each time mainly cuz I was worried about it going straight since it was lifting/carrying the wheels so far. Its a great feeling after you get used to it :D I did nothing to improve power really, removed the viscous fan clutch and installed an X pipe, most improvement came from weight reduction, no more inner fenders, no more heater box,moved battery to the trunk and I was minus front bumper today but I'm going with a fibreglass piece anyway. Just guessing I lost maybe 150lbs off the nose while moving 50lbs to the rear, wont know for sure until I get back to Tulsa and weigh it on their track scales. The very first pass I could tell it went higher and farther than before and came back to the pits to a bunch of wide eyed racing buddies that couldnt believe what my car did. I wish I had pictures to post, but the track photographer wont get them up until Tues or Wed. I'll get a pic up when I can. Previous bests in my signature,except for 60ft, which had been 1.376 and 1/8th mph 104.85. Maybe next week now that the butterflies are gone I can do a little better. Everyone was telling me that the front wheels were 1.5ft off the ground and was setting them down just before the 60ft cone:hurray:

All in all it was a great day, the car performed flawlessly for a total frame up rebuild in a shade over 6 months, next week its back to business in no/electronics ;)
=
Outstanding :beers:
Great to hear Bob, congratulations

We never had a doubt,,,, :D

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Glad to hear you're at it again Bob. Nice that the suspension is working like it should too. Couple more passes and you should be "comfortable" with the car.

Nice run times.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Nice glad it all went off without a hitch

·
Registered
800 Posts
Congratulations Bob! Glad to hear that you're "back in the saddle", great job.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Glad there was no problems, I hope my first day goes as well.

G

·

Nice leaving car!:thumbsup: what kind of conditions were you racing in? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Really glad to hear you Racing again.I bet you had a heck of a smile on your face !

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Nice runs Bob. Moving the battery is always a good idea, moves about 40 lbs. to the back that was out front, so in efect the weight bias changes by 80-90 lbs. with the battery box relocated too. Very impressive sixty foots, you've got that old Chevelle hooked up good, congratulations.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, no pics yet, track photog wont get them up til Tues/Wed. Mark the d/a was in the neighborhood of 2000ft. I dont have a weather station.

G

·
Thanks guys, no pics yet, track photog wont get them up til Tues/Wed. Mark the d/a was in the neighborhood of 2000ft. I dont have a weather station.
That would be a 9 sec car at Atco, can you explain your rear suspension set up, that a real good 60 foot. I need help with my suspension on my chevelle its a horrible twisted up mess, thanks

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It all starts with a Moser 12 bolt, the upper ears on a Moser are higher than a stock 12 bolt, the lower mounts are slightly lower than a stock 12 bolt so the housing alone is moving the IC towards the rear of the car. I have Metco adj uppers set at stock length and I have SSM liftbar lowers and I'm not using the bracket that moves the rear lca mount down. I am using the hrpartsnstuff bolt-on antiroll bar and QA1 single adjustable shocks set at 9 of 12 clicks to full stiff, also using the OEM rear springs. My car sits real low in the rear( lip is about 3-3.75" above the 15" wheel,with 1/2" preload in right side) and the lca drop 1/2" from the front mount to the rear mount.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
It all starts with a Moser 12 bolt, the upper ears on a Moser are higher than a stock 12 bolt, the lower mounts are slightly lower than a stock 12 bolt so the housing alone is moving the IC towards the rear of the car. I have Metco adj uppers set at stock length and I have SSM liftbar lowers and I'm not using the bracket that moves the rear lca mount down. I am using the hrpartsnstuff bolt-on antiroll bar and QA1 single adjustable shocks set at 9 of 12 clicks to full stiff, also using the OEM rear springs. My car sits real low in the rear( lip is about 3-3.75" above the 15" wheel,with 1/2" preload in right side) and the lca drop 1/2" from the front mount to the rear mount.
Great times Bob ! You running radials this year? Time to go with a trans brake and see what it does :D 6.20's ??????? You have a TH-400 or TH-350?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.