Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys need some help ......just looking at some pics of my car at track last weekend sixty foot was 1.5's but it never hooked hard IMO hard to beleive the sixty foot was actually 1.5's cause was spinning after launch Manual Trans car 5k launch ET drags still sidewall 28x 10.5 .front susp working decent not a serious race car so only 4 3/4 " front travel but shock settings seem to be close front settles slowly front tires appear to be totally unloaded just starting to lean out a top .......it appears rear susp is not planting tires into pavement the body squats a bit ..rear shocks on full stiff HRP anti roll bar control arms in stock location .no wheel hop car goes straight ....... where should I start ?? is this an instant center thing do I need to move the IC back by using something like the UMI relocation brackets ??? Thanks Bill

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
any video?

yes, you need the re-location brackets or no-hop bars like Edelbrock. Both work the same way, use the torque reaction of the rear axle to push the body up and axle down.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
What rear shocks are you using Bill?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sori no videos ....Old guy goes to the track video stuff not on the list :0 surpised my budy had a digi camera But i understand would be a very good thing to do .....I have stills taken in sequence that I looking at .for sure its squatting not alot but it is

Bill ........qa1 single adjustable rear shocks ....... Stock SS big block springs in rear not the stiffest rear spring in back not sure I am ready to change that though

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
if it's squatting at all that's the opposite of the desired deal. anything pulling down on the body is pulling up on the axle.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
To do any track type suspension tuning I feel, from past experience and expense, you'll need a double adjustable shock. Preferably on both the front and rear but at least on the rear.
And I've also found that the QA-1's simply do not have enough range of adjustment for various track and weather conditions.
The Alston Vari-shock worked very well for me. Even better than the Koni's.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if it's squatting at all that's the opposite of the desired deal. anything pulling down on the body is pulling up on the axle.
Got it, thats what I thought but not sure Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To do any track type suspension tuning I feel, from past experience and expense, you'll need a double adjustable shock. Preferably on both the front and rear but at least on the rear.
And I've also found that the QA-1's simply do not have enough range of adjustment for various track and weather conditions.
The Alston Vari-shock worked very well for me. Even better than the Koni's.
I hear you .have dbl adj Alston on front yes alot better than the old QA1 I had before

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Bill - I don't know your car real well. What kind of times are you running in the 1/8 or 1/4 ?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bill - I don't know your car real well. What kind of times are you running in the 1/8 or 1/4 ?
Times in your sig are where I am at...... 1/8 time was 6.99 I cant run at a sanctioned track cause of no roll bar etcetc so not alot of seat time but pretty sure I have some et in the susp with me in it car is close to 3800lbs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts