Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on tracing my car back to the original owner. Does anyone know of a place or website that does title searches? I think I heard somewhere that the DMV does it but I'm not sure. This is the only way I can think of doing this. It would be great if there was a place that did it. Thanks for any help.

1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
136800B122947 | 11/17/69
Green Mist w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP Dual Exhaust

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 08-28-99).]

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
It is quite likely that the original owner has no lingering interest in your car. For them , it was only a car. Why would you want to intrude on them?? What can they add to the value of the car?? Certainly, I would be annoyed if someone called me for details of the purchase of my '72 Econoline van.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JWagner, even if they don't have any interest in the car I'd like to at least know who it was and how long that person owned the car. They might have the interest and would like to see what the car looks like now. Who knows... maybe they're sentimental. Besides these are collector/muscle cars were dealing with here and not unpopular Ford vans.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Shawn,
I too would love to find the original owner of my car,but today it is next to impossible.Federal law prohibits most title searches before 1980.This is what I was told.The only way is if you knew someone in law enforcement.Believe me I tried!I would love to find some pics or documents on my car,but as Jwagner stated a lot of people consider this a privacy thing.Just imagine if you found the original owner but he long passed or maybe just passed.You would probably upset whoever family member you contacted.I know it would be neat to talk to the original owner of your car.I wish you better luck then I had!

------------------
Dean Ciampi(Spring Hill,FL)
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
This subject comes up quite often and at the risk of annoying some who feel this is justified, here's my opinion!

I agree with 260 and JWagner. Leave the people alone! You have no right to hunt them down (and believe me some people will think this is exactly what you are doing) and intrude into thier lives.

It has happened to me and I teed me off, this guy found my name on the waranty book and tracked me down, for a long time he felt compelled to keep me informed about the car and asked countless questions. This is another reason why I destroy everything with my name and address on it when I trade off or sell a car, and may be why lots of these cars have no documentation today. If for some reason the person (80 year old grandma)you contact is upset they can take legal action against you, recent stalking laws enacted gives the police more power to stop this kind of harrassment.

I know some will say go ahead and do it but be carefull you are treading in dangerous territory.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 08-29-99).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.